This Chocolate Oreo Cake is to die for! A moist chocolate cake full of Oreo icing! And not just any Oreo icing – it is FULL of crushed up Oreos. An Oreo lover’s dream.
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour (measured properly)
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- 3 cups (672g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8–9 cups (920g-1035g) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (414g) Oreo crumbs (about 33 Oreos)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6–7 tbsp (90ml-105ml) heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 12 Oreos, chopped
- 6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- Oreos, optional
NOTE: You’ll need at least one full package of Oreos. If you plan to decorate the outside of the cake with more Oreos, as shown, you might need a second package.
- Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs, milk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
- Divide batter between three cakes pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Make icing while cakes cool. Beat together butter until smooth.
- Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla, Oreo crumbs and salt and mix until smooth.
- Add another 4-5 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add heavy cream, as needed, until you get a smooth consistency.
- Set aside about 3 1/2 cups of icing for the filling inside the cake and add chopped Oreos, if using.
- Once cakes are cool, remove cake domes from top with a large serrated knife.
- Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread 1/2 of the icing with the chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
- Add second layer of cake and add the rest of the of icing with chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
- Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake with remaining frosting. Feel free to use my tutorial for how to frost a smooth cake.
- To make the chocolate ganache, add the chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl (see my tips on making chocolate ganache).
- Heat the heavy whipping cream just until it begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake, then pour the remainder of the ganache on top of the cake and spread evenly. I like to use a squeeze bottle for drizzling around the edges.
- Allow the ganache to firm up a bit, then pipe the remainder of the frosting around the top edge of the cake (see my tips on making a chocolate drip cake) and add an Oreo between each swirl. I used Ateco tip 844.
- Sprinkle a few Oreo crumbs onto to the cake, if desired, then serve. Cake is best when well covered for 3-4 days.
Feel free to reduce the overall amount of buttercream if you plan on decorating your cake differently. I use a fair amount based on my method of how to decorate a smooth cake (linked in the recipe instructions above).
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 995
- Sugar: 93.8 g
- Sodium: 398 mg
- Fat: 60.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 114.7 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 79.1 mg
Keywords: chocolate oreo cake, chocolate cake with oreo buttercream, chocolate layer cake, oreo cake