Classic Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies
These Chewy Snickerdoodles Cookies are soft and buttery cookies that are covered in cinnamon and sugar! Such a classic cookie recipe and one of my favorites!
Cookies are one of the best parts of Christmas. And since cinnamon is one of my very favorite ingredients and flavors, these snickerdoodles are no doubt one of my favorite cookies. They make the prefect Christmas cookie!
How to Make Snickerdoodle Cookies
To get started making the best snickerdoodles, you’ll want to cream the butter and sugar together. It should be light and fluffy when it’s ready. You’ll then add the eggs and vanilla extract, and finally the dry ingredients.
The dry ingredients includes one of the most important ingredients in a classic snickerdoodle – the cream of tarter. It gives the snickerdoodle that tangy flavor we all know and love, so it’s definitely a must!
Once the cookie dough is prepared, it’s time to roll it into balls. I didn’t refrigerate it before hand, but you certainly could. If you wanted to make them ahead even, you could refrigerate the dough for a couple of days before using.
After you roll the dough into balls, roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and make sure they are fully coated.
Tips for Making the Perfect Snickerdoodles
When it comes to baking these cookies, it was important to me that they don’t spread too thin, but I also didn’t want to add a bunch of flour and have them be too dry or dense. One way to make sure they don’t spread too much is to bake them at a little higher temperature. These cookies bake at 400 degrees. It helps the edges set more quickly, therefore not spreading too much.
The other thing I suggest for these cookies is to use a dark cookie sheet. The dark color absorbs heat more quickly, also helping to set the edges of the cookies more quickly.
The final snickerdoodle is soft, chewy and delicious! An addicting cookie that I come back to over and over. You just can’t beat a cookie covered in cinnamon and sugar!
You might also like:
Snickerdoodle Dulce De Leche Cheesecake
Apple Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
White Chocolate Dipped Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies with Eggnog Icing
Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
Classic Chewy Snickerdoodles
These Chewy Snickerdoodles are soft and buttery cookies that are covered in cinnamon and sugar! Such a classic cookie recipe and one of my favorites!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 40-45 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 3/4 cups (358g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar, plus 3 tbsp for rolling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet (I recommend a darker cookie sheet) with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Add the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar to a large mixer bowl and cream until light in color and fluffy in texture, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
7. Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon in another small bowl.
8. Create balls of one tablespoon of cookie dough each.
9. Roll each ball of cookie dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then set on the prepared cookie sheet with about 2 inches between them.
10. Bake for 6-8 minutes.
11. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
12. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Keywords: soft and chewy snickerdoodles, chewy snickerdoodles, easy snickerdoodles, christmas cookies, how to make snickerdoodle cookies