This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These moist Pumpkin Cupcakes are topped with cream cheese frosting! They are light, fluffy and full of pumpkin flavor and pumpkin spice! An easy pumpkin recipe made with all brown sugar for flavor that really shines!
There are few things that excite me more every year than when pumpkin season comes around. I quickly buy all things pumpkin spice at the store and then end up disappointed from the lack of flavor. For me, the best pumpkin things are ones that are flavored not only with pumpkin spice but also with pumpkin. One might assume that pumpkin spice includes pumpkin flavor, but that’s not always the case and it’s so sad.
But I’m happy to say these cupcakes are flavored with plenty of both pumpkin and pumpkin spice. I have a variety of pumpkin cupcakes on the blog, but none that are as straight forward as these pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheesecake frosting. They are classic, totally necessary and SO good!
The other great thing about these cupcakes is that they are so shareable, which a total necessity this time of year. It’s all about holiday parties and bringing desserts to work and eating your weight in all the delicious flavors of the season. Well these pumpkin cupcakes are here to help you with your holiday goals. 😉
How to Make Pumpkin Cupcakes
So these pumpkin cupcakes are not only delicious, they are also super easy to put together. You are simply combining wet and dry ingredients, then adding your pumpkin puree. It really couldn’t get easier.
To get started, you’ll grab your brown sugar. I love the deep flavor that brown sugar gives desserts and these pumpkin cupcakes are no exception. They deepen the flavor and bring out the pumpkin and spices that we love so much.
Next, you’ll add vegetable oil to the brown sugar. I love the oil in these cupcakes over butter to produce a crazy moist cupcake that stays moist for days. Vanilla and eggs are also added, then everything is combined.
The dry ingredients are up next, which I always like to combine in a separate bowl. It ensures that everything is well combined before adding to the wet ingredients so that you don’t end up with pockets of certain ingredients that don’t get mixed well throughout the batter.
Included with your flour, baking powder and baking soda mixture are your spices – cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. I’ve messed around with adding and subtracting certain ones and using different amounts and these are just as I love them to be with lots of flavor, but not so much that it over powers the pumpkin. Perfection!
And then of course salt. Can’t forget that! It adds flavor too!
And finally – the real star here – the pumpkin. There’s a full cup of pumpkin in these pumpkin cupcakes to ensure lots of moisture and plenty of flavor! Gimme all the pumpkin!
Once the cupcakes are baked, it’s time for the classic cream cheese frosting. It uses a combination of butter and cream cheese with some powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Classic. Simple. Delicious. Perfect for pairing with pumpkin cupcakes.
I finished off my cupcakes with some little pumpkin candies, but you could also used crushed up pecans or something else festive. The bottom line is that no matter how you decorate them, they will be moist, delicious and perfect for fall and the holidays.
You might also like these pumpkin dessert ideas:Print
These Moist Pumpkin Cupcakes are topped with cream cheese frosting! They are light, fluffy and full of pumpkin flavor and pumpkin spice!
- 1 cup (144g) light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (233g) canned pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tbsp (86g) butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Add the oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract and eggs to a mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
5. Add the pumpkin puree and mix until well combined.
6. Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full.
7. Bake pumpkin cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
9. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter and mix until smooth.
10. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
11. Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
12. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
13. Use a large round piping tip to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. To see how to pipe the dome frosting I used, see my cupcake frosting tutorial.
14. Top the cupcakes with a candy pumpkin, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve and serve at room temperature. Cupcakes are best if eaten within 3-4 days.
Keywords: pumpkin cupcakes, easy pumpkin cupcakes, fluffy pumpkin cupcakes, cream cheese frosting, pumpkin desserts, easy pumpkin cupcakes