Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
These Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes are made with moist chocolate cupcakes stuffed with ice cream and topped with whipped cream, chocolate and sprinkles! Such a great summer treat with so many flavor possibilities!
An Easy Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe
We are totally getting into summer here already. The boys are in love with all things water – the bath, the faucet, the hose, the sprinkler, the pool – even Jessie’s (our black lab) water bowl. Oh, and don’t leave the bathroom door open – they’ll even go for the toilet. Seriously, if they see water, they want to play in/with it.
So we made two trips to the pool this weekend and they loved every bit of it. As much as I thought they’d enjoy the baby pool, they much preferred being in the big pool and having us hold and play with them. They know just how to get all of mom and dad’s attention and we are happy to oblige.
We even take their lunch with us so we can hang at the pool even longer. They are getting so big that they sit really well at the regular table in a regular chair. We just prop them up a little bit on a folded towel and they eat their lunch right off a regular plate. Even though they normally toss food and their plates around at home, they don’t do any of those shenanigans at the pool. It’s so pleasant, ha! And so cute to see them growing up!
I imagine they’ll eventually be eating yummy ice cream treats at the pool too. I think back to when I was a kid and we always loved going to the snack counter and getting some kind of popsicle, ice cream sandwich or other treat. Of course with these Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes, you can have the perfect summer ice cream treat right at home too!
How to Make Ice Cream Cupcakes
These Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes are such a fun combination of cake and ice cream all in one. Sort of like an ice cream cake, but in perfect individual portions. Pull one out of the freezer at a time and satisfy that summer ice cream craving!
To make these cupcakes, you’ll start out by making the chocolate cupcakes. I made some delicious homemade ones, but you could also use a box mix to keep it even more simple.
After the cupcakes are made and cooled, you’ll cut the center out and fill them with your choice of ice cream. I thought it would be fun to have a couple different flavors so I went with birthday cake ice cream and rocky road ice cream. The ice cream should be a little bit softened when adding it to make it a little easier. After adding the ice cream, place the cupcakes in the freezer while you make the whipped cream.
I used homemade whipped cream for these cupcakes, but again you could go simple and use a store bough one, such as Cool Whip. I decided to color some of my whipped cream with pink color for a little extra fun and make some whipped cream with chocolate. Pipe the whipped cream onto the cupcakes and then freeze them until the ice cream center and whipped cream are both frozen and firm.
You could really stop there if you wanted to, but I got a little excited about all the fun I had with these cupcakes and decided to also dip them in chocolate. The Ultimate Ice Cream Cupcakes!
How to Dip Ice Cream Cupcakes in Chocolate
For the dipping chocolate, I melted some chocolate with a little vegetable oil and then dipped the whipped cream into it. It does freeze fairly firm, so you could always add a little cream to the mix to thin it out more, if you prefer. You want to use a small dish that’s deep enough that the whipped cream on top of the cupcake doesn’t hit the bottom of the glass when you dip it. I used a juice glass and it was the perfect size. Melt the chocolate is a separate bowl and then add the chocolate to the cup as needed.
And finally, I added some sprinkles to my birthday cake version. Seriously, SO FUN! I couldn’t resist! Not only are these cupcakes perfect for summer or a birthday, they can be changed up in so many ways. So many different ice cream flavors, so many kinds of sprinkles you could use – endless fun options! I hope you enjoy them!
More Easy Dessert Ideas to Try:
Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
These Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes are made with moist chocolate cupcakes stuffed with ice cream and topped with whipped cream, chocolate and sprinkles!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup (98g) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (43g) natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (150ml) milk
Filling and Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream (your choice of flavor), softened
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel icing color, optional
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Sprinkles, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. To make the cupcakes, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
6. Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined.
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about three quarters full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
9. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
10. When the cupcakes have finished cooling, use a cupcake corer or knife to remove the centers, then fill them with your choice of ice cream flavor. I used 2-3 tablespoons of ice cream per cupcake.
11. Put the cupcakes in the freezer while you make the whipped cream. Place the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl and whip on high speeds until stiff peaks form. If you’d like to color your whipped cream, add the gel icing color with the other ingredients before you whip it. NOTE: If you want to make chocolate whipped cream, replace half (6 tablespoons) of the powdered sugar with natural unsweetened cocoa powder.
12. Pipe the whipped cream onto the cupcakes. I used a large round tip – Ateco 808.
13. Freeze the cupcakes until the ice cream and whipped cream are frozen and firm.
14. If you want to do the chocolate coating, add the chocolate and vegetable oil to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 10-20 second increments until melted and smooth. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then pour into a cup or bowl that is deep enough to dip into.
15. Dip the whipped cream portion of the cupcakes into the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Add sprinkles quickly, if using, because the chocolate will begin to firm up quickly.
16. Place the cupcakes back in the freezer. They are best stored in an air tight container.
17. When you’re ready to serve the cupcakes, allow them to soften for about 15 minutes or so. The chocolate topping can be fairly firm, so you want everything to soften a bit.
Keywords: ice cream cupcakes, how to make ice cream cupcakes, ice cream dessert ideas, ice cream desserts, summer desserts,