Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake
This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake recipe is made with strawberry cheesecake filling and chocolate Oreo crust, all covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate covered strawberries! It’s an amazing cheesecake recipe and a favorite strawberry dessert.
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
Strawberries and chocolate are a classic dessert combo, and when you add cheesecake to the mix you have one irresistible treat! I mean, what’s not to love about creamy strawberry cheesecake with an Oreo cookie crust, chocolate ganache topping and chocolate covered strawberries?
This cheesecake recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day, but honestly you could make it anytime you’re in the mood for a decadent strawberry dessert. The cheesecake uses both strawberry puree and strawberry extract to achieve the perfect strawberry flavor. And with both a chocolate crust and chocolate ganache topping, there’s plenty of chocolate to go around. They compliment each other well, without either overpowering the other.
And the best part? Even though this strawberry cheesecake looks fancy, it is actually pretty simple to put together. I’ve broken everything down for you in this post!
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
STEP 1: MAKE THE CHEESECAKE CRUST
To get started with the cheesecake, you’ll make the chocolate crust. Grind up about 25 or so Oreos in a food processor until you get crumbs. Add just four tablespoons of butter and mix it all together, then press it into the bottom of your springform pan. You don’t need a whole lot of butter in an Oreo crust, since the filling of the Oreo also helps do the job of holding the crumbs together.
Also, I tend to like having the crust going up the sides of my pan too, but decided for this cheesecake that it was best to have it just on the bottom. With the strawberry and pink being a center part of the cheesecake and it being topped with chocolate, I wanted to be sure to be able to see the filling without having to slice it first. I loved the final look it gave.
STEP 2: MAKE THE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE FILLING
When it comes to the filling, the strawberry flavor comes from both strawberry puree and extract. Three cups of strawberries are pureed and then cooked down to thicken it and create a good, strong strawberry flavor. When added to the cheesecake filling, it adds a nice, light strawberry flavor. The strawberry extract accentuates that fresh strawberry flavor and really gives it the best strawberry flavor!
While you don’t have to, I added a little red food coloring to the filling to give it a nice pink color. It’ll have a little color to from the puree already, but I wanted a bit brighter shade. You don’t have to add much.
STEP 3: BAKE & COOL YOUR CHEESECAKE
This recipe uses a classic water bath technique to create a smooth, creamy strawberry cheesecake. If you are unsure about how to make cheesecake using a water bath, check out this post with 7 tips for success with water bath baking and this post with 10 tips for perfect cheesecake.
STEP 4: TOP WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE
Once the cheesecake is baked and cooled, it’s topped with chocolate ganache. This is very easy to make in the microwave by melting chocolate chips and heavy cream together. Just pour the chocolate ganache over the cheesecake, spread it over the surface and allow it to cool.
STEP 5: DECORATE WITH WHIPPED CREAM & STRAWBERRIES
I finished off this strawberry cheesecake with pink whipped cream and chocolate covered strawberries. I made my chocolate covered strawberries, but you could certainly buy them already made. If you want to go the DIY route, check out my recipe for chocolate covered strawberries. I like to dip them in this dark chocolate and drizzle them with the white chocolate. It’s delicious and super easy!
The final cheesecake really is so fun and even more delicious. The creamy strawberry cheesecake with the chocolate crust and chocolate ganache are a wonderful combination! A great cheesecake for a special occasion and perfect for Valentine’s Day!
You might also like these cheesecake recipes:
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake
This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake recipe is made with a strawberry cheesecake filling and chocolate Oreo crust, all covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate covered strawberries!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 12-14 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups (302g) Oreo cookie crumbs (25–30 Oreos)
- 4 tbsp (56g) salted butter, melted
- 3 cups (380g) chopped strawberries
- 24 oz (678g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (24g) flour
- 1/2 cup (115g) sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp strawberry extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 8 oz (227g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup (58g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel icing color
- Chocolate covered strawberries
Make the Crust
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
2. Combine the crust ingredients in a small bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan.
3. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
4. Cover the outsides of the pan with aluminum foil so that water from the water bath cannot get in (see how I prepare a pan for a water bath). Set prepared pan aside.
Make the Cheesecake Filling
1. Add the strawberries to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, then strain through a fine mesh sieve to discard the seeds.
2. Add the puree to a medium sized saucepan and cook over medium heat. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and continue to boil, stirring consistently to keep it from burning, until it has thickened and reduce to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. To measure, pour the puree into a measuring cup. If it’s more than 1/2 cup, add it back to the pan and continue to cook it.
3. When the puree has thickened and reduced, pour into a small bowl and allow to cool to at least room temperature. This strawberry mixture can be made ahead, if you like.
4. When ready to proceed with the filling, set oven temperature to 300°F (148°C).
5. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour on low speed until well completely combined and smooth. Be sure to use low speed to reduce the amount of air added to the batter, which can cause cracks. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
6. Add the sour cream and mix on low speed until well combined.
7. Add the strawberry puree and strawberry extract and mix on low speed until well combined.
8. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly to combine after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
9. Stir in the red food color to your desired shade of pink.
10. Pour the cheesecake batter evenly into the crust.
Bake Your Cheesecake
1. Place the springform pan inside another larger pan. Fill the outside pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. The water should not go above the top edge of the aluminum foil on the springform pan.
2. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes. The center should be set, but still jiggly.
3. Turn off the oven and leave the door closed for 30 minutes. The cheesecake will continue to cook, but slowly begin to cool as well.
4. Crack the door of the oven for 30 minutes to allow the cheesecake to continue to cool slowly. This process helps prevent cracking.
5. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and water bath wrapping and refrigerate until firm, 5-6 hours or overnight.
6. When the cheesecake is cool and firm, remove from the springform pan and set on a serving plate.
Make the Chocolate Ganache
1. To make the chocolate ganache, put the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl.
2. Microwave the heavy whipping cream until it just begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
3. Pour the ganache onto the cheesecake and spread into an even layer. Allow to cool and firm.
Decorate with Pink Whipped Cream and Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1. To make the whipped cream, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add some pink icing color to your desired shade of pink.
2. Pipe the whipped cream around the edge of the cheesecake, then top with chocolate covered strawberries. The fresh chocolate covered strawberries are best added fresh before serving, since they can spoil more quickly.
3. Refrigerate cheesecake until ready to serve. Cheesecake is best when stored well covered and eaten within 3-4 days.
Keywords: chocolate covered strawberry cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, valentines recipes, strawberry desserts, strawberry topping for cheesecake