This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Did you know that June 14 is National Strawberry Shortcake Day? It’s true! So today I am celebrating with this Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake.
This post is sponsored by Driscoll’s, but all opinions are my own.
This beautiful Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake combines three of my favorite things – cake, strawberries and cheesecake – into a beautiful dessert that is perfect for celebrating!
If you’ve been reading the blog a while, then you know I love strawberries. They’ve been my favorite fruit since I was a kid. My dad will still buy them for me when they’re in season and I’m coming to visit.
So when I was asked to help Driscoll’s Strawberries celebrate Strawberry Shortcake Day, I could not wait. Strawberry shortcake has been a classic dessert for more than 100 years and Dricoll’s is easily the strawberry brand I prefer in my shortcake. They always have the best smelling, prettiest berries! I don’t know about you, but I smell my strawberries to pick out the best ones. 🙂
When trying to figure out what spin to put on the traditional dessert, this cheesecake was one of a few ideas that quickly came to mind. It’s such a great showcase for the strawberries and with a full layer of shortcake on the bottom, you get the full strawberry shortcake experience layered right into a cheesecake!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
I started off making this recipe by making the shortcake. Believe it or not, I’d never made a shortcake from scratch before!
Shortcake is a little different than your typical cake. It’s a little like a sweet biscuit, but with a slightly cakey-er texture. It’s more crumbly than a cake, though.
So for the shortcake recipe, I went straight to the experts – Driscoll’s. I borrowed the shortcake from Driscoll’s Favorite Strawberry Shortcake Recipe. It is so easy to make. Even easier to make than a cake.
The shortcake is topped with a thin layer of cheesecake, just to hold things together, and then topped with whole strawberries. Aren’t they beautiful nestled in there?
Then they are completely covered with a light, no-bake vanilla cheesecake and some whipped cream. The cake is then topped of with a few more strawberries and some strawberry sauce.
Absolute perfection! The combination of flavors and textures is spot on.
The dense, crumbly cake with the fresh, sweet berries and the smooth, creamy cheesecake is just as perfect as you’d expect. And it incorporates all the flavors of a good strawberry shortcake into a super fun and delicious cheesecake. You seriously won’t want to share.
Celebrate National Strawberry Shortcake Day with this amazing Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake recipe! One dessert with cake, strawberries & cheesecake!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 5 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 + 1/8 cup heavy cream
CHEESECAKE FILLING AND WHIPPED TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 tsp vanilla, divided
- 24 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lbs Driscoll’s strawberries
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries (from about 7–9 strawberries)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a circle of parchment paper into the bottom of a 9 inch springform cake pan and grease the sides.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor.
3. Add butter and mix in food processor until combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Slowly add heavy cream and pulse in food processor until just moistened.
5. Gather dough into a ball. Mixture will still be crumbly and loose.
6. Gently knead dough on a non-stick surface until just smooth, about five turns.
7. Press dough into an even layer in the springform pan.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are golden.
9. Remove cake from oven and remove from cake pan. Allow to cool on cooling rack.
CHEESECAKE FILLING AND WHIPPED TOPPING
1. Freeze metal bowl and whisk for 15 minutes.
2. Remove bowl and whisk from freezer and add 1 cup of heavy cream.
3. Whip on medium-high speed for a few minutes. Cream will initially bubble a little bit, then start to thicken.
4. As the cream starts to thicken, add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
5. Whip until soft peaks form, for a total whipping time of about 5-7 minutes. Make sure not to over mix. Set whipped cream aside.
6. Add cream cheese to a large bowl and beat until smooth.
7. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and sugar and beat until smooth.
8. Fold in whipping cream made in steps 1-5. Set aside.
9. Freeze metal bowl and whisk for 15 minutes.
10. Remove bowl and whisk from freezer and add remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
11. Whip on medium-high speed for a few minutes. Cream will initially bubble a little bit, then start to thicken.
12. As the cream starts to thicken, add remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract.
13. Whip until soft peaks form, for a total whipping time of about 5-7 minutes. Make sure not to over mix. Set whipped cream aside.
1. Add water to pureed strawberries.
2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in strawberry puree.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and come to a boil.
4. Allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
5. Allow to cool while you put everything together.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Wash and dry strawberries.
2. Slice about 6 strawberries into thin strawberries to use around the outside edge.
3. Cut the tops off of about 3 cups of small to medium sized strawberries (about 18-20 strawberries).
4. Line the same 9 inch springform pan used for the shortcake with parchment paper on the bottom and sides. The parchment paper should stick above the edges of the pan about an inch or 2.
5. Place shortcake in the bottom of the pan.
6. Line the sides of the pan with the sliced strawberries, using the prettiest slices.
7. Add about 1/2 cup of the cheesecake filling on top of the shortcake and spread into a thin layer, filling ing any gaps around the shortcake and sliced berries.
8. Place the strawberries, thick side down, on top of the cheesecake. Leave some space between each of the strawberries so that they aren’t touching and cheesecake can be added to fill in the space.
9. Drop remaining cheesecake filling on top of the strawberries in spoonfuls, making sure it fills in all the spaces. Spread the remaining cheesecake evenly over the strawberries. Depending on the size of the berries, they might poke through the top of the cheesecake a bit.
10. Spread whipped cream topping on top of the cheesecake.
11. Cover loosely and refrigerate until firm, about 4-5 hours.
12. Once firm, remove cheesecake from spring form pan and top with remaining strawberries, but into quarters.
13. Drizzle with strawberry sauce and refrigerate or serve.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, strawberry cheesecake recipe, strawberry dessert recipe
You might also like: