This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is the perfect summer dessert! It’s light, no bake and filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries.
Easy Trifle with Strawberries, Blueberries & Raspberries
This simple trifle recipe is completely addicting and full of some of my favorite things! It has cake, it has whipped cream, and it has oodles of summer berries. What’s not to love?
The fruit and angel food cake in this dessert are super light, making this dessert perfect for warm summer days when you want something fresh and simple! Plus, trifles are typically great for making ahead. And if you happen to have a cake disaster, they are a great way to use up that cake. Just layer it in pieces with fruit and whipped cream, and you’ve got a great treat!
What Does Trifle Mean?
The word “trifle” comes from the old French term “trufle,” which literally means “something whimsical.” Traditionally, an English trifle would have layers of fruit, a sponge cake and custard that’s all topped with whipped cream. American trifles tend to be about as easy as desserts come, consisting of layers of crumbled or cubed cake, pudding or some kind of filling and fruit. They also tend to have whipped cream instead of custard.
What You’ll Need
This trifle is made with layers of fresh berries, angel food cake, cheesecake flavored pudding and whipped cream. Although the finished dessert may look fancy, you only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- Instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix – You could also use vanilla pudding!
- Angel food cake cut into pieces – You can use homemade angel food cake, or store bought. Pound cake or regular vanilla cake works too.
- Mixed berries – Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Whipped Cream – I prefer homemade whipped cream, but you could also use Cool Whip or even this strawberry whipped cream!
How to Make a Trifle
One of the best things about trifles is that putting them together doesn’t require that much work. In fact, if you have kids around the house this is the perfect kind of recipe for them to help with! They can mix the pudding and help layer the berries, pudding, cake and whipped cream into your serving bowl.
Here how to do it:
Step 1: Prepare your ingredients
- Make the pudding according to the package instructions
- Cut your angel food cake into cubes
- Gather your berries.
- Make your whipped cream if using homemade, or get your Cool Whip ready.
Step 2: Assemble the trifle and chill
- In a trifle dish or serving bowl, layer about half of the angel food cake pieces.
- Top the cake pieces with about half of the pudding
- Add a layer of berries, about 1/2 a cup of each kind of berry
- Top the berries with whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Repeat until all of your ingredients are used up, finishing with more berries on top.
- Refrigerate your trifle until you’re ready to serve. It should chill for at least one hour.
You can easily mix things up and adjust ingredients to make this dessert your own. For example:
- Replace the cheesecake flavored pudding with another flavor: While I love the cheesecake flavored pudding, vanilla would also work. And if you want to really change it up, you could even use a lemon flavored pudding.
- Replace the angel food cake with pound cake: I use angel food here just because I like the lightness of angel food, but pound cake would work too.
- Use different fruits: Like diced peaches, mangos and nectarines. Those would all go wonderfully with the berries too!
Can I Make this Recipe In Advance?
Definitely! Trifles do store well, but I wouldn’t make it more than a day ahead simply because the cake layers can start to get too soft and the fruit might not stay fresh.
Can I Freeze It?
I would not recommend freezing a trifle. The texture would change too much during the initial freezing process, and then again when you defrost it.
More Trifles to Try
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- Peach Raspberry Sangria Trifle
- White Chocolate Raspberry Trifle
- Caramel Cheesecake Brownie Trifle
- Oreo Cheesecake Brownie Trifle
- Easy Lemon Strawberry Trifle
- Raspberry Amaretto Cheesecake Trifles
This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is easy to make and so delicious! It’s a light, no bake dessert that’s filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries. This trifle is perfect for parties and holidays!
- two 3.4 oz packages instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix*
- 4 cups (960ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Angel food cake (about 12 oz), cut into pieces
- 1 cup (156g) chopped strawberries*
- 1 cup (130g) blueberries*
- 1 cup (128g) raspberries*
- Additional berries for decorating
- Add pudding mix and milk to a large bowl and whisk together for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Add about half of the angel food cake pieces to the trifle dish in an even layer. Place pieces around the edge first so that they look nice, then fill in the center.
- Top the cake with about 1/2 of the prepared pudding.
- Add some sliced strawberries around the edge of the trifle dish, where you’ll be putting the berries. Fill in the layer with about 1/2 a cup of each kind of berry.
- Top the berries with about half of the cool whip and spread into an even layer.
- Repeat steps 2-4, then pipe the remaining whipped cream on top of the trifle in a fun design. I piped shells around the outer edge a few times.
- Fill in the center of the whipped cream with additional berries and decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours, until ready to serve. Trifle is best stored covered in the fridge and eaten within 1-3 days.
- The pudding could be replaced with vanilla flavored pudding if you can’t find the cheesecake flavored pudding
- I’d recommend having two containers of each type of berry, just to be sure you have enough.
- If you’d prefer to use Cool Whip over homemade whipped cream, replace the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with 12 oz of Cool Whip.
Keywords: easy trifle recipe, berry trifle dessert, strawberry trifle