This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is easy to make and so delicious! It’s a light, no bake dessert that’s filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries. A classic trifle dessert that everyone loves!
AN EASY BERRY TRIFLE RECIPE
This easy trifle recipe is completely addicting and full of some of my favorite things! Plus, the fruit and angel food cake used in it make it nice and light. It’s perfect for the warm months ahead of us when you want something light fresh and easy! It’s also wonderful to take to a potluck, because it’s easy to prepare and share.
WHAT IS A TRIFLE?
The word “trifle” comes from the old French term “trufle,” which literally means “something whimsical” (see Trifle History). Traditionally, an English trifle would have layers of fruit, a sponge cake and custard that’s all topped with whipped cream. American trifles tend to be about as easy as desserts come, consisting of layers of crumbled or cubed cake, pudding or some kind of filling and fruit. They also tend to have whipped cream. Flavors and layer vary and there are all kinds of fun things you can do with a trifle.
Plus, trifles are typically great for making ahead. And if you happen to have a cake disaster, they are a great way to use up that cake. Just layer it in pieces with fruit and whipped cream, and you’ve got a great treat!
A signature for trifles is that they tend to be made in a deep, round dish where you can see all the layers of the trifle. It makes a lovely presentation.
This trifle is made with layers of fresh berries, angel food cake, cheesecake flavored pudding and whipped cream. Although the finished dessert may look fancy, you only need a few simple ingredients to make this trifle recipe.
- Instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix – You could also use vanilla pudding!
- Angel food cake cut into pieces – You can use homemade angel food cake, or store bought.
- Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Whipped Cream – I prefer homemade whipped cream, but you could also use Cool Whip or even this strawberry whipped cream!
HOW TO MAKE A TRIFLE
One of the best things about trifles is that putting them together really doesn’t require that much work. In fact, if you have kids around the house this is the perfect kind of recipe for them to help with! They can mix the pudding and help layer the berries, pudding, cake and whipped cream into your serving bowl.
Here’s how to make this trifle recipe:
Prepare your ingredients
- Make the pudding according to the package instructions
- Cut your angel food cake into cubes
- Gather your berries.
- Make your whipped cream if using homemade, or get your Cool Whip ready.
Assemble the trifle layers
- In a trifle dish or serving bowl, layer about half of the angel food cake pieces.
- Top the cake pieces with about half of the pudding
- Add a layer of berries, about 1/2 a cup of each kind of berry
- Top the berries with whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Repeat until all of your ingredients are used up, finishing with more berries on top.
- Refrigerate your trifle until you’re ready to serve. It should chill for at least one hour.
MAKE THIS TRIFLE DESSERT YOUR OWN!
You can easily mix things up and adjust ingredients to make this trifle your own. For example:
- Replace the cheesecake flavored pudding with another flavor: While I love the cheesecake flavored pudding, vanilla would also work. And if you want to really change it up, you could even use a lemon flavored pudding.
- Replace the angel food cake with pound cake: I use angel food here just because I like the lightness of angel food, but pound cake would work too.
- Use different fruits: Like diced peaches, mangos and nectarines. Those would all go wonderfully with the berries too!
Can You Make a Trifle the Day Before?
Definitely! Trifles do store well, but I wouldn’t make it more than a day ahead simply because the cake layers can start to get too soft and the fruit might not stay fresh.
Can You Freeze Homemade Trifle?
I would not recommend freezing a trifle. The texture would change too much during the initial freezing process, and then again when you defrost the trifle.
More Trifle Recipes You Might Like:
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
Mini Berry Custard Trifles
Peach Raspberry Sangria Trifle
White Chocolate Raspberry Trifle
Caramel Cheesecake Brownie Trifle
Oreo Cheesecake Brownie Trifle
Easy Lemon Strawberry Trifle
Raspberry Amaretto Cheesecake Trifles
This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is easy to make and so delicious! It’s a light, no bake dessert that’s filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries. This trifle is perfect for parties and holidays!
- two 3.4 oz packages instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix*
- 4 cups (960ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Angel food cake (about 12 oz), cut into pieces
- 1 cup (156g) chopped strawberries*
- 1 cup (130g) blueberries*
- 1 cup (128g) raspberries*
- Additional berries for decorating
Could be replaced with vanilla flavored pudding if you can’t find the cheesecake flavored pudding
I’d recommend having two containers of each type of berry, just to be sure you have enough.
If you’d prefer to use Cool Whip over homemade whipped cream, replace the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with 12 oz of Cool Whip.
Keywords: trifle recipe, easy trifle recipe, berry trifle, english trifle, trifle dessert, strawberry trifle