This Toasted Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream Cake is what dreams are made of! The chocolate cake is moist and rich, and the coconut ice cream is full of flavor and so refreshing! It’s the perfect way to enjoy the summer!
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
2. In a large mixer bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients for the cake.
3. In another medium bowl, combine hot coffee, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Add eggs and whisk until combined.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Batter will be thin.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 3-4 minutes, then remove cake from pan to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Once the cake has cooled, make the ice cream. Spread the coconut into an even layer on a lined baking sheet.
8. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then allow coconut to toast for about 4-5 minutes, tossing every couple of minutes so that it toasts evenly. Keep a close eye on it – it can burn very quickly. Set toasted coconut aside to cool.
9. In a large mixer bowl, combine the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
10. Add the milk and coconut extract and mix until well combined. Set aside.
11. In another mixer bowl, add whip the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
12. Gently fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until combined, then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
13. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of toasted coconut.
14. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will probably be a little taller than your pan (see example). If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan. If not using a springform pan, you pan put some plastic wrap in the bottom of the pan and up the sides and use it to lift the cake out of the pan when it’s done.
NOTE: You should be using the same 8-inch pan you used for the cake. Not all 8-inch pans are exactly the same size. Your cake needs to fit in this pan.
15. Cut the dome off of the top of the cake layer, then put the cake layer into the bottom of your pan. See my tips on how to level a cake.
16. Spread the toasted coconut ice cream into an even layer on top of the cake layer.
17. Allow the ice cream cake to freeze completely, 6-8 hours.
18. Once frozen, remove from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.
19. To finish off the cake, make the chocolate ganache (see my tips on making chocolate ganache). Place the chocolate chips into a medium sized bowl. Heat the heavy whipping cream to a boil, then pour over the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
20. Allow to chocolate ganache to cool for a few minutes, then pour over the top of the cake and use an offset spatula to spread it out towards the edge of the cake, allowing it to drizzle over the sides (see my new tips on making a chocolate drip cake). Set cake in the freezer while you make the whipped cream.
21. To make the whipped cream, whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and coconut extract until stiff peaks form. Once the chocolate ganache has firmed up, pipe the whipped cream (I used Ateco tip 844) around the top edge, then sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut.
22. Freeze cake until ready to serve.
8-inch springform pans are best for building this cake so that you can easily remove the cake once it’s been assembled. If you do not have a springform pan, line your pan with clear wrap before adding your parchment paper and cake board. You can use the clear warp to lift your cake out of the pan once it’s assembled and frozen. You want to make your cake layers in the same pan you’ll use for layering the ice cream and cake together so that they cake layers fit in the final pan you use for layering. In lou of using a cake pan to build the cake, you could also use cake collars.
Keywords: chocolate ice cream cake, coconut cake recipe, coconut chocolate cake, coconut dessert, ice cream cake recipe, homemade ice cream cake, best ice cream cake, how to make an ice cream cake, how to make ice cream cake