Outrageous Chocolate Coconut Cheesecake Cake
This Outrageous Chocolate Coconut Cheesecake Cake is just as fun as the name makes it sound! With layers of brownie, coconut chocolate chip cheesecake, chocolate cake and coconut pecan filling, it’s an over-the-top mix of so many delicious things!
Have you ever had Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory? I haven’t ever had it, but was sent a request from someone to try and re-create it. I can’t say if it tastes exactly the same or not, since I haven’t had theirs, but I can say it is SO darn good and a dessert worthy of an occasion! I’m happy to add this to my list of reader requested recipes. They are often some of my favorites – both the simpler and the more over the top.
So let’s talk about what’s all in this cake, because it’s a doozie.
The bottom layer is a dense chocolate brownie. On top of that is some coconut pecan filling. Have you ever had German Chocolate Cake? It’s the same filling that’s in that cake. Next is the coconut chocolate chip cheesecake and a bit more of the filling. Topping off the cake is a layer of moist chocolate cake and the remaining coconut pecan filling. Everything is then covered in a chocolate frosting and more chocolate chips.
Are you drooling yet? Or perhaps in shock from so much in one cake? Trust me, it’s worth it.
It may seem like a bit of a task to make – and with all the steps involved, it is – but it’s not hard to make. Just time consuming. I tried to order things in a way to make it a little more efficient though. You could easily make it over a couple days, like I did.
First, make the cake layer that will go on top. Because you’ll be making a cheesecake eventually, you’ll want to bake the cake in the same pan as the one you’ll use for the cheesecake. I used a 9 inch springform pan. You’ll want to make sure your pan doesn’t leak, because the cake batter is thin and you don’t want it going all over the oven.
While the cake bakes/cools, make the coconut pecan filling. It’s made right on the stove and only takes about 15 minutes. Set it aside to cool.
Next up is the brownie. The great thing about the brownie and cake layers in this cake is that both are super easy to put together – you don’t even need your mixer. I just whisk everything together.
While the brownie bakes, put together the cheesecake filling. When the brownie is done baking, top it with some of the coconut pecan filling and then the cheesecake filling. Bake it and then let it cool completely.
The frosting is made with real melted chocolate, making it a wonderfully chocolatey frosting. It alone is super tasty! Top the cooled cheesecake with a little more coconut pecan filling and the chocolate cake layer, then frost the sides. Press the mini chocolate chips into the sides of the cake, then finish the top with swirls of frosting and the remaining coconut pecan filling.
There is a little bit of something for everyone in this cake! It’s totally outrageous – just like it’s name – but also totally awesome. The dense brownie with the creamy coconut cheesecake and soft chocolate cake is wonderful. Add with the coconut pecan filling and chocolate frosting and I’m totally undone. SO good and totally worthy of your next big occasion!
Outrageous Chocolate Coconut Cheesecake Cake
- Yield: 14-16 Slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp (56g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cups (104g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (21g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
COCONUT PECAN FILLING
- 6 egg yolks
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (168g) butter, cubed
- 2 2/3 cups (227g) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/4 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 10 tbsp (140g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (98g) all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (43g) natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESECAKE
- 16 ounces (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (138g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (16g) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (153g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (86g | 3 oz) chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (168g) butter
- 1 cup (169g | 6 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3 cups (345g) powdered sugar
- 4–5 tbsp (60-75ml ) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups ( | 12 oz) mini chocolate chips
TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk until well combined.
3. In another medium sized bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg white. Whisk until well combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
5. Add the water and whisk until well combined. Batter will be thin.
6. Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs.
7. Remove cake from the pan and set aside on a cooling rack to cool.
TO MAKE THE COCONUT PECAN FILLING:
8. In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, milk and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
9. Add the sugar and butter and cook on medium heat for 12-15 minutes, or until thickened and almost pudding-like and golden brown, stirring constantly.
10. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
11. Set in the fridge to cool completely.
TO MAKE THE BROWNIE:
12. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan (the same pan you used for the chocolate cake) with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
13. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
14. In another medium sized bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
15. Add the eggs and mix until well combined.
16. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix until well combined.
17. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
18. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
TO MAKE THE CHEESECAKE FILLING:
19. In a large mixer bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar and flour until well combined (Use low speed to keep less air from getting into the batter, which can cause cracks). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
20. Add the sour cream and coconut extract, mixing on low speed until well combined.
21. Add the eggs one at a time, beating slowly and scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
22. Stir in the chocolate chips.
23. When the brownie is done baking, reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (148°C). Remove the brownie from the oven and top with about 1/3 of the coconut pecan topping, then pour the cheesecake batter evenly over the topping.
24. Wrap the outside of the pan with aluminum foil, then place the springform pan inside another larger pan. Fill the outside pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. The water should not go above the top edge of the aluminum foil on the springform pan.
25. Bake the cheesecake for 45 minutes. The center should be set, but still jiggly.
26. Turn off the oven and leave the door closed for 30 minutes. The cheesecake will continue to cook, but slowly begin to cool as well.
27. Crack the door of the oven for 30 minutes to allow the cheesecake to continue to cool slowly. This process helps prevent cracking.
28. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and water bath wrapping and refrigerate until firm, 5-6 hours or overnight. Once completely cool and firm, remove from the springform pan.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
29. Beat the butter until smooth.
30. Add the melted chocolate and mix until smooth and well combined.
31. Slowly add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth and well combined.
32. Add 4-5 tablespoons of cream, as needed, to get the right consistency frosting.
33. Place the cooled and firm brownie cheesecake onto a serving plate and top with another 1/3 of the coconut pecan filling and spread into an even layer.
34. Add the chocolate cake layer to the top of the cake.
35. Frost the sides of the cake with chocolate frosting, then press mini chocolate chips into the frosting.
36. Pipe swirls of the remaining frosting around the top edge of the cake and add the remaining coconut pecan filling to the top/center of the cake.
37. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Cake is best for 4-5 days.