This Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice is full of flavor and so easy to make! It’s a perfect weeknight meal!
I’ve been so excited to share this recipe with you. Not only is it a great, light meal, but it also comes from the cookbook of my friend Donna, from The Slow Roasted Italian. Her and her husband’s cookbook came out a few months ago and I’m excited to share it with you. It’s called “The Simple Kitchen”. If there’s one thing I’m a fan of in the kitchen (at least with my meals 😉 ), it’s simple. I’m all about simplifying dinner to spend more time with the hubs, and that’s totally what this cookbook is all about – simple, but flavorful meals.
The chapters are a nice mix too – everything from crock pot meals and one-pot wonders, to appetizers, soups and even some tasty desserts! I’m particularly excited to try the Cheesy Greek Pasta with Chicken, Homestyle Chicken and Biscuits and Slow Cooker Bourbon Brown Sugar Meatballs. Yum! Not to mention the Crazy Caramel Apple Pie Bombs – oh em gee.
Definitely a great cookbook for some yummy meals! So let’s talk a little more about this one.
The flavor of this dish is really perfect. I’ve mentioned plenty of times around here that the hubs is not a fan of lemon flavored desserts, but when it comes to savory it’s one of his faves. The lemon with the rosemary is perfection! Not to mention that the chicken, rice and asparagus make it a really nice, light meal. If you’re watching yourself for a new year diet or something, this would be perfect!
It’s also all made in one pan. Score! First cook the chicken, then add the seasonings, rice and chicken stock and let it all simmer together for a bit. Next up is the asparagus and it all cooks until the asparagus is tender. Seriously, how easy is that?! Love!
This meal has already gone into regular rotation and I know many others from the cookbook will as well. Be sure to try this one and definitely check out the cookbook. Yummy stuff!
Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
This Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice recipe is full of flavor and so easy to make! It’s a perfect meal for busy weeknight dinners!
- 2 tbsp (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (190g) jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut to 1 inch pieces
1. In a 10 inch skillet over mediumheat, warm the olive oil. Once you can feel the heat when you hold your hand 6 inches above the skillet, add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cook until the chicken is browned of the outside, stirring occasionally, 7-10 minutes. It’ll get cooked more, so it’s ok if it’s not cooked through yet.
3. Add the rice, rosemary, garlic and onion powder, chicken stock and lemon juice. Stir to combine, cover and bring everything to a boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 8 minutes, and then stir and add the asparagus.
5. Cook until the asparagus is crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 517.7 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.1 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg
Keywords: chicken dinner recipe, rosemary chicken, easy chicken meal, quick chicken dinner recipe
This post contains affiliate links.
This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Can I substitute the jasmine rice please?
Good morning Lindsay well I was unaware of the fact that you had any savory recipes until I took a closer look at your menu and I saw the savory catagory, I was immediately struck by how delicious delicious this dish looked. Well me being me, I had to make it and I did. I have to also say that I am being me when I kinda change things up a tad, now I am sure that the dish really is delicious just as the recipe is printed, but I could not help myself I had to add to it, I put in some chopped red onions, some mushrooms and I mixed the chicken, using white and dark meat and some thyme. I think that I should have used more lemon juice and zest ( I only used one ). but it was delicious anyway, I made some cornbread and had too helpings. Thank you for sharing, I also subscribe to the Slow Roasted Italian. They do have great recipes.
I’m so glad you found my savory recipes and that you enjoyed this one! Thanks Henrietta!