Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
These Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes are moist, light and some of my favorite flavors for spring! An easy and beautiful cupcake recipe!
Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes Recipe
It’s amazing how babies come with a massive learning curve. And not just one curve, it’s like 500,000 curves all overlapping and intermingling. As soon as you get to the top of one curve, you fall down the other side while also climbing up another curve. The stages and phases they go through at such a rapid pace at this age are insane. As soon as it seems like we get our feet under us, things change again. Thank goodness pediatricians have a 24-hour answering service. We’ve definitely used it more than once for all kinds of random questions that seem silly and yet we often learn something valuable from their response.
We recently had to call because Ashton has been having trouble when he tries to take a bottle. I had him at the doctor last week and was told it was gas. I’ve made all kinds of changes, including going dairy free, but so far no luck in helping him. We will be going back this week for the first round of shots and I’m hoping we can test out my theory that it might be reflux and get something to help him.
I’m sure soon as we get it figured out, it won’t be an issue anymore and there will be something else we have to figure out. Why can’t babies come out of the womb eating cupcakes? That’d be so much easier. I have plenty of those everywhere!
And while the boys may not remember it, they totally tasted these cupcakes while in the womb. I’m pretty sure they danced with joy.
The base of the cupcake is a moist lemon cake. Flavored with both lemon juice and lemon zest, it has a lovely lemon flavor to it. The raspberry frosting on top is flavored with fresh raspberry purée. All of the color in the frosting also comes from the purée, so there’s no need to break out any icing color. Score!
Lemon raspberry is definitely one of my favorite flavor combinations and it’s a winning combo in this cupcake! Light in flavor and taste, and super moist, these cupcakes are a winner! I hope you enjoy them!
Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
These Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes are moist, light and some of my favorite flavors for spring!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 Cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 6 tbsp (84g), unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 6 tbsp (86g) sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp (60ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 oz (113g) raspberries
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (95g) shortening
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- Raspberries, for topping
- Lemon slices, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and add cupcake liners to a cupcake pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix until combined.
4. Add the egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure all is incorporated and smooth.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another small bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk, water and lemon juice.
6. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
7. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
9. To make the frosting, add the raspberries to a food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine mesh sieve. You’ll end up with about 1/4 cup of puree. Set puree aside.
10. Beat the butter and shortening together in a large mixer bowl until well combined and smooth.
11. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
12. Add 2 tablespoons of raspberry puree and mix until well combined
13. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
14. Add the remaining raspberry puree as needed to get the right consistency of frosting and flavor.
15. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
16. Top each cupcake with a lemon slice and raspberry and serve.
Keywords: lemon dessert recipe, best lemon dessert, easy lemon dessert, lemon cupcakes recipe