These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are made with a moist chocolate cupcake recipe, fresh strawberry frosting and delicious chocolate covered strawberries.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
I can’t believe that I’m already talking about Valentine’s Day. It feels like I’ve barely moved on from Christmas and New Year’s. But alas, it’s just around the corner and I’m here to help with a fun and tasty treat.
These cupcakes are like having two delicious treats in one! Between the chocolate covered strawberries and the cupcakes themselves, I’m not sure which I’m most excited about. I’ve always been a big fan of strawberries, so it comes as no surprise to me that the chocolate covered strawberries barely made it onto the tops of the cupcakes. I intentionally made extras but between the hubs and I, we could’ve eaten them all.
And when you add them to the top of these cupcakes, they really are the perfect treat. I don’t make chocolate covered strawberries at home often, but after making these, I definitely need to. Not hard at all to make and quite quick. Not to mention that they are much less expensive than buying them already made.
I decorated them with some drizzled pink chocolate, but sprinkles would also be a fun addition.
The cupcakes themselves start with my favorite chocolate cupcakes. The batter is the easiest to put together and the cupcake is super moist and so chocolatey. Don’t be alarmed by the thin batter – that’s how it’s supposed to be. They bake at a lower temperature than normal and turn out amazing.
The strawberry frosting is made with fresh strawberries. Toss the strawberries into a food processor to create the puree, then strain it through a fine mess sieve to remove the seeds and pulp. You don’t have to strain it, but it gives a more uniform look to the frosting if you do.
One thing to keep in mind about the frosting is that in order to get a good strawberry flavor, you need strawberries with good flavor. Not all strawberries are created equal. The better their flavor, the better the frosting. If you find the flavor isn’t quite as strong as you like, you can always add a little more puree, you just don’t want to thin out the frosting too much. You could also add a little strawberry extract to beef up the flavor without thinning it out too much, if needed.
The final cupcake is super moist, full of flavor and two treats in one! It’s the perfect way to spoil your love on Valentine’s Day. 🙂
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes made with moist chocolate cupcake, strawberry frosting & chocolate covered strawberries! A Valentines Day recipe win!
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES
- 8 oz dark chocolate melting wafers*
- 16 strawberries, washed and dried
- 4 oz white chocolate melting wafers*
- Pink/red gel icing color, optional
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 1 cups (207g) sugar
- 6 tbsp (43g) Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
- 3/4 cup (149g) chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (95g) shortening
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- Pink/red gel icing color, optional
1. To make the chocolate covered strawberries, place the dark chocolate melting wafers into a small bowl and melt according to package instructions.
2. Dip each strawberry into the chocolate, shaking off the excess chocolate, then place on parchment paper to dry.
3. Place the white chocolate melting wafers into a small bowl and melt according to package instructions. 4. Add some pink or red gel icing color and stir to combine. Add a small amount at a time until you have your desired shade of pink.
5. Drizzle the pink chocolate over the chocolate covered strawberries and allow to dry. Refrigerate strawberries until ready to use.
6. To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 300°F (148°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
7. Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
8. Combine the egg, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium sized bowl.
9. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
10. Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
11. Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
12. Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
13. To make the frosting, add the chopped strawberries to a food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the strawberry puree through a fine mesh sieve. Set puree aside.
14. Beat the butter and shortening together in a large mixer bowl until well combined and smooth.
15. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
16. Add 2 tablespoons of strawberry puree and mix until well combined
17. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
18. Add the remaining strawberry puree as needed to get the right consistency of frosting and flavor.
19. Add pink or red gel icing color until you have your desired shade of pink frosting.
20. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 844.
21. Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered strawberry
* I used Ghirardelli chocolate wafers, but you can also use Wilton candy melts, Candiquick or whatever your preference.
Keywords: valentines day dessert recipe, valentines day cupcakes, strawberry frosting, strawberry dessert recipe, easy strawberry dessert, chocolate cupcakes, easy chocolate cupcakes, romantic dessert idea
This post contains affiliate links.