This Overnight Birthday Cake French Toast Casserole is the perfect breakfast for a birthday or special occasion! Prepare this breakfast casserole the night before and wake up to a delicious party in a pan!
Looking for more easy breakfast casserole recipes? Try this delicious Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast Casserole.
My Favorite Overnight French Toast Casserole
So this is recipe that was originally posted back in 2013 – over 7 years ago! The photos were horrible and the story that went along with it had nothing to do with food (although it was a fantastic story and you can still read it because I saved it and linked to it below – just above the recipe). It didn’t get much love and that was truly the biggest shame because I LOVE this casserole and literally make it every year for my birthday.
My birthday is Christmas day, so that means that my family and I have this for Christmas morning every year, along with this Overnight Sausage and Egg Casserole. Christmas is already busy enough, so two casseroles that are made the night before is the way to go. But the same could be said for any birthday. Why not prep the night before?! Then you can sleep in and wake up to awesomeness.
If you’re wondering how cake and french toast combine and if it’s even good, let me tell you – it is. I’m a little obsessed. It seriously tastes like eating cake, but as a french toast casserole. It’s the perfect way to allow eating cake for breakfast. And when you eat it with frosting – as I ALWAYS do – it’s even better. And if you’re a lover of rainbow chip frosting like I am, just warm it up and pour it all over. It’s just so good! Seriously, this is kind of my birthday guilty pleasure. Can you tell?
How to Make Overnight Birthday Cake French Toast Casserole
To make this pan of birthday perfection, you’ll start with your bread. I recommend either sourdough or french bread. Sourdough is personally my fave, but either would work. Cut it into chunks and toss them into a large bowl.
Then in another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla extract and cake mix. You add a full 2 cups of cake mix. I use funfetti cake mix, but regular vanilla would work too. And you could even go crazy and try chocolate cake mix. I haven’t done it, but you could totally try it.
Once it’s all combined, pour it over the bread chunks and gently stir it all together. Then pour it into your casserole dish and spread it evenly. Add some more sprinkles, because it’s your birthday. Then cover it with foil and pop it in the fridge for the night.
The next morning, bake it. While it bakes, combine another cup of cake mix with some butter to make a birthday cake streusel topping. I mean, really. A birthday cake streusel? Does it get any better?
Sprinkle that tasty streusel over the top of the casserole after baking it for about 30 minutes, then finish baking it while the streusel bakes as well.
When it’s done, serve it warm with your choice of frosting (hello, Rainbow Chip!) or maple syrup. Or even a little bit of both. Why not go crazy? It’s your birthday.
This is the Perfect Birthday Breakfast!
If you’re wondering what to make for a birthday breakfast, this is it. It’s so wonderfully tasty, easy to make and a guaranteed crowd pleaser for the cake lover in your life. If you are like me, this will become a birthday tradition that no birthday will be compete without.
More Great Birthday Recipes
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
Funfetti Cheesecake with Cake Bottom
Funfetti Bundt Cake
Funfetti Millionaire Cake
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Moist Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Fluffy Homemade Pancakes
The Best Chocolate Cake
Moist Vanilla Layer Cake
Read the original blog post here.Print
The best overnight french toast casserole – made with cake mix! The perfect easy breakfast for a birthday or celebration!
- 1 loaf Sourdough Or French Bread, cut into chunks
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Funfetti cake mix
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp sprinkles
- 1 cup Funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, cut into pieces
- Rainbow Chip Frosting or Maple Syrup
2. Add the bread chunks to a large bowl and set aside.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, cake mix, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread chunks, then gently stir to combine.
5. Pour the bread mixture into the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly. Spread the sprinkles evenly over the top of the casserole. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight.
6. When ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
7. Bake the casserole for about 25-30 minutes. While the casserole bakes, cut the additional cake mix into butter for the topping until it’s crumbly.
10. Remove the casserole from the oven and crumble the streusel over the top of the casserole.
11. Continue baking the casserole for another 10-25 minutes, or until it’s at your desired level of doneness.
12. Serve the casserole warm with frosting or syrup. To use the frosting, heat it in the microwave until pourable.
Keywords: overnight birthday cake french toast casserole, french toast bake, birthday breakfast, breakfast casserole
Recipe modified from Pioneer Woman