This Strawberry Shortcake Trifle is simple to make with layers of moist vanilla cake, fresh strawberries, strawberry sauce and fresh whipped cream!
- 3 cups (390g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) milk
- 1 lb strawberries, pureed
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups (660ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 1/2 cup (173g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 lbs strawberries, chopped (about 5 cups)
Make the Vanilla Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Grease a 9×13 cake pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well combined and smooth.
- Add about a third of the flour mixture to the batter and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add about half of the milk and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add another third of the flour mixture and beat until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the remaining milk and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake will be browned on top.
- When the cake is done, set aside to cool.
Make the Strawberry Sauce
- To make the strawberry sauce, add the strawberry puree, sugar and vanilla extract to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Allow sauce to boil for one minutes, then remove from heat and seat aside to cool.
Make the Whipped Cream & Assemble the Trifle
- When everything has cooled, make the whipped cream. Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- To layer everything in the trifle dish, add a layer of cake on the bottom, then about half of the chopped strawberries, about half of the strawberry sauce, then about half of the whipped cream.
- Add a second layer of cake, strawberries and strawberry sauce, then pipe the remaining whipped cream on top in swirls. Add a few additional strawberries on top as decoration.
Note: You may not need to use all of the cake for the trifle.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 840
- Sugar: 72.7 g
- Sodium: 274 mg
- Fat: 45.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 101.5 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 127.3 mg
Keywords: strawberry dessert recipe, strawberry trifle recipe, trifle recipes