1. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish and set aside.
2. Cut bread into 1 inch chunks and spread evenly in the bottom of the casserole dish.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugars, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread, getting all the bread wet from the mixture.
4. Cover the casserole and store in fridge for several hours or overnight.
5. To make the streusel topping (this can be made ahead and refrigerated), combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add butter and cut into the dry mixture until it all comes together to form a crumble. You can store this mixture in the fridge overnight if you’d like.
6. When you’re ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the top of the casserole, covering as much of it as you can.
8. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Bake less time for a softer, more moist texture. Bake longer for a firmer, less moist texture.
9. When casserole is ready, serve warm with syrup and other toppings such as powdered sugar or fresh fruit.
Keywords: overnight french toast recipe, baked french toast recipe, christmas morning brunch recipe, make ahead breakfast, french toast bake