This Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake is an incredibly moist Kahlua chocolate cake made from scratch that is soaked in more chocolate and Kahlua! It’s topped with fresh Kahlua whipped cream and is truly an indulgent treat!
Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
If you are a lover of Kahlua, then there’s no doubt that you will love this cake. It was a major hit in our home with friends and family. Between all the chocolate, Kahlua and such a moist chocolate cake, it’s heaven in a pan!
Not to mention that the homemade chocolate cake used for the base is not only moist and amazing itself, it’s also incredibly easy to put together. The whole dessert comes together quite quickly and easily for such a tasty cake.
To get started with the Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake, you’ll combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients (minus the water) separately. Included in the wet ingredients is a whole half cup of Kahlua! Lots of Kahlua flavor in here! Combine them all together, then add the water. Don’t be alarmed when you see that the batter is very thin. It’s supposed to be. This is one majorly moist cake, which means there’s a lot of moisture and liquid that goes into it.
Another thing to not be alarmed by is the low baking temperature. It’s not an error. The cake bakes at 300 degrees. It’s a slow bake cake that’s worth every second of waiting. It’s also the base of my very favorite Homemade Moist Chocolate Cupcakes, which are always a hit.
After the cake has baked, poke it all over with holes. I like to use a knife sharpening rod, but something similar would work as well. Common alternatives are thick straws or the handle of a wooden spoon.
Heat the sweetened condensed milk and another half cup of Kahlua and pour the mixture over the chocolate chips. The heat from the mixture will melt the chocolate and then it’s all poured over the cake.
Allow the mixture to seep into the holes in the cake, using a spatula to spread it around, if needed.
Next you’ll want to allow the cake to cool completely in the fridge. Once it’s ready, you’ll add the whipped cream on top. It’s a lightly Kahlua flavored whipped cream that compliments the richness of the cake perfectly. Be sure to use the full amount of powdered sugar, as that is what adds stability to the whipped cream.
This Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake is finished off with some mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. A simple cake in presentation, but totally over-the-top in flavor! Loads of chocolate, loads of Kahlua and moist and delicious for days! It’s a wonderful cake to eat on a random Tuesday night or take to a potluck to share with friends. Just depends on how generous you’re feeling. 😉
You might also like:Print
This Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake is an incredibly rich, moist Kahlua chocolate cake made from-scratch that is soaked in more chocolate and Kahlua! It’s topped with Kahlua whipped cream!
KAHLUA CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (240ml) Kahlua Liqueur, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup (180ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (240ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup (127g) semi sweet chocolate chips
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 2 cups (480) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (29g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Kahlua Liqueur, optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate sauce
1. Prepare a 9×13 inch cake pan by greasing the sides. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and combine.
3. Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of Kahlua and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Slowly pour the water into the batter, mixing well and being careful of splashing.
5. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and poke holes all over. I use a knife sharpening rod, but you could also use a straw.
7. While the cake is still warm, add the chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
8. Add the sweetened condensed milk and remaining 1/2 cup of Kahlua to a microwave safe measuring cup. Heat heat the condensed milk and Kahlua until they begin to boil, then pour over the chocolate chips.
9. Whisk the chocolate until smooth, then immediately pour over the cake, spreading it into the holes. Don’t let the mixture sit before pouring it over the cake or it’ll start to thicken and not soak in the holes as well.
10. Set the cake in the fridge to cool and soak.
11. When the cake has cooled, add the ingredients for the whipped cream topping to a large mixer bowl. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
12. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the cake. Top the cake with mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 632
- Sugar: 57.2 g
- Sodium: 375.4 mg
- Fat: 32.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.5 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 69.4 mg
Keywords: Poke Cake, Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake, Kahlua Cake, boozy poke cake, best chocolate kahlua cake