With three basic ingredients and fewer than 10 minutes, you can whip up the most luxurious homemade caramel of your life! Whether it’s used as a dipping sauce for apples or a topping for ice cream, this sweet Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce will steal the stage.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and heavy cream and whisk constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes, no more.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce
- Recipe slightly modified from Pioneer Woman’s Easy Caramel Sauce.
- To Store: Transfer cooled caramel to an airtight jar or container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. It will harden as it chills. Microwave it for 20-30 seconds at a time to bring it back to a drizzling consistency, stirring after each increment. If you make it too thin, let it rest until it creates a nice drizzle.
- To Freeze: Transfer cooled caramel to a freezer-safe container (make sure it’s not made of glass). Freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating. If it’s still frozen after sitting in the fridge, let it rest at room temperature until it thaws.
- Serving Size: 2 TBS
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 16.3 g
- Sodium: 6.6 mg
- Fat: 8.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.4 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 24.1 mg
Keywords: homemade caramel, brown sugar caramel, caramel for dipping apples