Easy Homemade Brownies From Scratch
This Easy Homemade Brownies Recipe makes cakey brownies that taste like box mix brownies! With perfect crisp crackly tops and chewy centers, these made from scratch brownies hit all the right notes.
Just Like Box-Mix Homemade Brownies
For some time I’ve been searching for a way to make brownies from scratch without losing that brownie mix feel. It took a lot of brownie making and a whole lot of brownie testing (someone had to do it!), but I think I finally found it: a simple brownie recipe that tastes like “box mix” brownies but is actually made totally from scratch. These homemade brownies have just the right combo of cakey and chewy texture, plus they have that classic “crack” on the top.
Basic brownies may seem kind of unexciting, but don’t be fooled. These are anything but! Everyone needs a good, solid brownie recipe in their arsenal and this is the one!
This brownie recipe has simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vegetable Oil – Just like a box mix brownie, we are going to use oil instead of butter.
- Sugar – I use regular white sugar in this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract – Be sure to use pure vanilla extract.
- Flour + Baking Powder
- Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder – I recommend using dark chocolate cocoa powder. I use dark chocolate cocoa in most of my baking. In baking it makes a much more chocolatey final product. I’m sure they’d taste great with regular cocoa. But if you’re willing, give the dark a try.
- Salt – Adding a bit of salt to desserts brings out their sweetness.
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
These brownies are no fuss! Here’s how to make them:
- Prep your tools: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix wet ingredients: Mix together the oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Add eggs and mix until well combined.
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients: Slowly add to the egg mixture until well combined.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
That’s it! Making these brownies from scratch is just as easy as using a box mix. 🙂
Tips for the Best Brownies
- Use dark chocolate cocoa powder. As I mentioned above, I think dark chocolate cocoa really takes the chocolate in brownies to the next level.
- Don’t over bake. It’s better to pull your brownies out too early than bake them for too long. Bake them until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. If you’re unsure, just go ahead and take them out of the oven. They will still cook a bit as they cool.
- Let them cool. These brownies are seriously good, but give them a chance to cool so that you can get that cakey, chewy texture. Plus, they will be easier to slice if you let them cool.
How to Store Brownies
You can store your homemade brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep for 4-5 days.
Can I Freeze Brownies?
Yes! You can freeze brownies for up to 2 months. Let them come to room temperature, then wrap each brownie in saran wrap or foil and place them in an airtight freezer safe container.
Quick and Easy Brownies
This easy homemade brownies recipe makes cakey brownies that taste like box mix brownies! With perfect crisp crackly tops and chewy centers, these brownies hit all the right notes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 Brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix together the oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add eggs and mix until well combined.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add to the egg mixture until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
Recipe modified from AllRecipes.com
Keywords: brownies, homemade, easy, from scratch, brownie mix, homemade
Recipe modified from AllRecipes.com