This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Dirt and Worms Puppy Chow is a no bake dessert recipe that makes a creepy-crawly Halloween treat! It’s easy to make and filled with crushed Oreo “dirt” and gummy worms!
What is Puppy Chow?
Puppy chow, also known as Muddy Buddies, is a fun and easy no-bake treat. Chex rice cereal is the base to this addicting concoction. In the original version, the cereal is coated in chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar, but we are going to tweak the ingredients to make it look like dirt and worms! Although this is called “puppy” chow, it’s definitely not for dog consumption.
A Fun and Creepy Halloween Treat
In this version of puppy chow we’ll be using Oreo crumbs and gummy worms to create a tasty snack that’s perfect for Halloween, a birthday party, or even a fun weekday snack for chocolate and gummy worm fans. This recipe only has 4 ingredients and it whips up in a flash. It’s the perfect recipe for a last minute party or movie night with the family when you feel short on time.
With the “dirty” looking Chex and the creepy, colorful worms, this treat is full of fun. You just can’t top the combination of Oreos and gummy worms. It doesn’t take much work on your part to create this tasty treat without the use of your oven. You can even package it in a little box or jar to use as a party favor. Kids (and grown-ups!) will be begging you to feed them more dirt and worms!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe is a great one to get you in and out of the kitchen quickly, but with fun results. Here are a few reasons to run, not walk, to the store to get everything you need.
- Kid-friendly. Kids will really enjoy getting to spend time together in the kitchen helping to make this puppy chow. Adding and eating gummy worms will be the highlight of cooking together. What kid doesn’t love gummy worms, right?
- Easy and fast recipe. This is a super easy snack to make. I have several puppy chow recipes, but this one is definitely one of the simplest to make.
- Creative and fun. I actually made this several months ago when it was Wacky Day during Dr. Seuss week at my kids’ school. I volunteered to bring in a wacky snack and had fun creating this. What’s more fun and wacky than eating “dirt and worms”?
Ingredients for Dirt and Worms Puppy Chow
With such a short ingredient list, you’ll be on your way to a super fun snack in no time! Plus, you can easily change this up with different gummy candy or Oreo flavors. So much fun to be had!
- Rice Chex Cereal: Rice Chex has a really mild flavor that makes a great base for snack mixes because it’s unsweetened and doesn’t interfere with the other flavors in the puppy chow.
- Melting chocolate: We’ll be using chocolate candy coating melts to hold the “dirt” in place. There are various brands out there. Wilton and Ghirardelli are popular high quality brands. You can use milk or semi-sweet flavored melts depending on your taste preferences. Regular chocolate chips would also work fine.
- Oreo crumbs: Classic Oreos are all you’ll need to get the perfect look and texture of dirt. You could also use flavored Oreos if you want to change up the flavor profile a little. There’s no need to remove the cream filling from the Oreos – just toss the whole thing in the food processor to grind into crumbs.
- Gummy worms: The star of the show! Don’t forget the “worms” to maximize the crazy fun of this snack.
How to Make Dirt and Worms Puppy Chow
Here’s a quick look at how to make this puppy chow recipe. Take a look at the recipe card below for the full instructions.
- Put the cereal in a bowl. Add the rice Chex cereal to a large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the chocolate. Melt the chocolate candy coating according to package directions until smooth.
- Cover the cereal. Add the melted chocolate to the Chex cereal and gently stir to coat evenly.
- Fold in cookie crumbs. Add the Oreo crumbs to the chocolate covered Chex cereal and gently stir to coat evenly.
- Spread and dry. Spread the Chex evenly onto a baking sheet and allow to dry completely.
- Stir in the worms. Add the gummy worms and gently stir into the mix.
- Serve. Enjoy!
How to Store
Once the chocolate coating is set, you can store puppy chow/muddy buddies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months. If you plan on freezing it, you just may want to leave out the worms. Either way, thaw it in the fridge and then enjoy.
More Puppy Chow Recipes
- Strawberries and Cream Puppy Chow
- Banana Pudding Puppy Chow
- Orange Creamsicle Puppy Chow
- St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow
- Golden Birthday Cake Oreo Puppy Chow
More Fun Halloween Treats
- Mini Candy Corn Cheesecakes
- Bat Oreo Cookie Balls
- Easy Mummy Rice Krispie Treats
- Spooky Halloween Marble Cake
This Dirt and Worms Puppy Chow is a no bake dessert recipe that makes a creepy-crawly Halloween treat. It’s easy to make and filled with crushed Oreo ‘dirt’ and gummy worms!
- 10 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 10 oz melting chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups (207g) Oreo crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups gummy worms
- Add the rice Chex cereal to a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions, typically microwaving for about 30 second intervals, stirring well between each, until melted and smooth. Add the melted chocolate to the Chex cereal and gently stir to coat evenly. Be careful to not break the Chex cereal too much.
- Add the Oreo crumbs to the chocolate covered Chex cereal and gently stir to coat evenly. You could add the Chex cereal and Oreo crumbs to a Ziploc bag, then shake, as well.
- Spread the Chex evenly onto a baking sheet and allow to dry completely.
- Add the gummy worms, combine and serve. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 20.2 g
- Sodium: 458.1 mg
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 63.5 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 2.7 mg
Keywords: recipe for puppy chow, how to make puppy chow, puppy chow chex, puppy chow chex recipe, halloween dessert, dessert for Halloween, no bake dessert, dirt and worms