1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add egg whites, cotton candy extract, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
4. Add butter and mix until smooth.
5. Divide batter evenly between two bowls and die one pink and one blue. I used a mix of two shades of pink and blue icing color, noted above.
6. Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way, adding a little bit of each color to each liner.
7. Bake 18-20 minutes.
8. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
1. Combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add cotton candy extract and 1-2 tbsp of water or cream and mix until smooth.
4. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
5. Add a little more water or cream until desired consistency is reached.
6. Divide icing evenly between two bowls and die one pink and one blue. I used a mix of two shades of pink and blue icing color, noted above.
7. To pipe icing onto cupcakes with dual tone, add pink icing to one piping bag and blue icing to another. Place both piping bags into a third piping bag, fitted with your icing tip. I used Ateco 844, but Wilton 1M would work as well.
8. Top cupcakes with cotton candy or cotton candy flavored suckers. Note that the cotton candy or suckers should added to cupcakes shortly before displaying or serving. If left on the cupcakes in an air tight container, the moisture from the cupcakes will “melt” the cotton candy.