These Easy Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies are made with plenty of brown sugar for a soft and chewy cookie that’s a delicious spin on the classic!
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (337g) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar (additional for rolling)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. You should be able to see the change in color and texture happen and know it’s ready.
4. Add the egg and mix until well combined.
5. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together and is combined. Do not over mix.
7. Create 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then roll each ball in the additional sugar to coat. Set the balls on the baking sheet.
8. Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will look soft, but should look done. Remove just before the edges begin to turn golden. Don’t over bake.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: brown sugar cookie recipe, brown sugar cookie, best brown sugar cookies, easy brown sugar cookies