May 30, 2014
Cherry Almond Amaretto Ice Cream Cake
This Cherry Almond Amaretto Ice Cream Cake is light, a little fruity and full of delicious almond and Amaretto flavor. Perfect for a summer day or night and even yummier than you’d expect!
So the hubs and I are officially at that age where friends are starting to have kids. And not just Facebook “friends” who you only know have kids because of Facebook, but like, actual friends that we see and talk to regularly.
It’s awesome to see great friends so happy and see what their babies are like. So far, they all seem to really resemble their parents and it’s so fun to see them. I can’t wait to watch them grow up!
And even though we don’t have kids yet, friends of ours that we regularly get together with do, which means our pretty regular Friday night plans are officially a little different. 🙂
Normally on a Friday night you might bring margaritas to a friend’s house, right? Well tonight we are bringing dinner to their house (since eating has fallen off of the priority list with newborns) and a massive box of diapers we’re picking up at Costco because they are going through them MUCH faster than they thought.
Now that’s how you know you’re getting older and moving into a new life phase! 🙂
It totally fun though – a phase we are ready for. And babies are way cooler when they are the babies of people you know and love.
Check Out My Other Recipes
Not only do I already love all these babies, but this cake. This cake is a thing to love. SO good!
The cake layer is soft, tender and full of almond and Amaretto flavor. I used 1/4 cup of Amaretto coffee creamer and 1/4 cup of actual Amaretto, but you could use all coffee creamer if you prefer. There’s also some almond extract in the cake.
The flavor is seriously amazing. Like, addicting.
Amaretto actually reminds me of another good friend from college. She was a big Amaretto fan and I’d forgotten how good it was! I did not want to stop eating the cake layers. They almost didn’t make it into the cake.
The ice cream layer is my favorite no ice cream machine needed ice cream. It’s thick, creamy and so easy to make. The ice cream also has some almond flavor, but this is where the cherries come in to play. I didn’t want the cherry flavor to be too much, so it’s just enough to give it some flavor and color.
I really wish there was a way for you to taste this through the screen. It was even better than I expected it to be and I wish I could do more than just try to describe it! It’s light, flavorful and perfect. I seriously love it and it was a big hit with all of my taste testers. We all felt the same way – the flavor is spot on, not too much and the cake layers are just the right texture.
If you like almond and cherry at all, even just a little bit, you have got to try this cake!
Cherry Almond Amaretto Ice Cream Cake
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup amaretto coffee creamer
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
Ice Cream Layers
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup milk
2 tsp almond extract
8 oz Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
1 cup chopped maraschino cherries (see second note at the bottom of instructions)
Outside and topping
4 oz Cool Whip
1/4 cup slivered almonds
NOTE: An 8-inch springform pan is best for this recipe so that you can easily remove the cake once it's been assembled. If you do not have a springform pan, line your pan with clear wrap before adding your parchment paper and cake board. You can use the clear warp to lift your cake out of the pan once it's assembled and frozen.
Make the cake layers:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 8 inch cake pans (preferable springform pans, see above) and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add butter, egg whites, almond extract, sour cream, coffee creamer and amaretto and mix on medium speed until smooth.
5. Split batter evenly between the two cake pans.
6. Bake 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a just a few crumbs.
7. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
8. Once cooled, level the cake by removing the dome from the top of the cake using a large serrated knife.
Once cake has cooled, make the ice cream:
1. Mix cream cheese, sugar, milk and almond extract together until well combined.
2. Fold in the cool whip and chopped cherries.
Assembling it all:
1. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will be a little taller than your pan. If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan.
NOTE: You should be using the same 8-inch pan you used for the cake. Not all 8-inch pans are exactly the same size. Your cake needs to fit in this pan.
2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
3. Pour half of the ice cream mixture on top of the cake and spread evenly.
4. Add the second layer of cake to the pan, on top of the ice cream.
5. Top with remaining ice cream and spread evenly, smoothing out the top.
6. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 5-6 hours or overnight.
7. Once frozen, remove cake from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.
8. Ice the outside of the cake with additional Cool Whip and top with slivered almonds. Store in freezer for up to a week.
NOTE: When chopping the cherries, just remove them from the juice in the jar, cut into pieces and set aside. Do not save the juice that comes out when you cut them, but don't try to squeeze out the remaining juice or pat them dry. The juice that remains in the cherries after you cut them will flavor the ice cream.
You might also like:
Black Forest Ice Cream Cake
Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Cupcakes
Kahlua Ice Cream Pie
Recipes from friends:
Amaretto Pecan Cookie Dough Truffles from Inside BruCrew Life
Amaretto Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel from Call Me PMC
Amaretto Almond White Cake from Shugary Sweets