NOTE: An 8-inch springform pan is best for this recipe so that you can easily remove the cake once it’s been assembled. If you do not have a springform pan, line your pan with clear wrap before adding your parchment paper and cake board. You can use the clear warp to lift your cake out of the pan once it’s assembled and frozen.
MAKE THE CAKE LAYERS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 8 inch cake pans (preferable springform pans, see above) and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add butter, egg whites, almond extract, sour cream, coffee creamer and amaretto and mix on medium speed until smooth.
5. Split batter evenly between the two cake pans.
6. Bake 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a just a few crumbs.
7. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
8. Once cooled, level the cake by removing the dome from the top of the cake using a large serrated knife.
ONCE CAKE HAS COOLED, MAKE THE ICE CREAM:
1. Mix cream cheese, sugar, milk and almond extract together until well combined.
2. Fold in the cool whip and chopped cherries.
ASSEMBLING IT ALL:
1. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will be a little taller than your pan. If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan.
NOTE: You should be using the same 8-inch pan you used for the cake. Not all 8-inch pans are exactly the same size. Your cake needs to fit in this pan.
2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
3. Pour half of the ice cream mixture on top of the cake and spread evenly.
4. Add the second layer of cake to the pan, on top of the ice cream.
5. Top with remaining ice cream and spread evenly, smoothing out the top.
6. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 5-6 hours or overnight.
7. Once frozen, remove cake from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.
8. Ice the outside of the cake with additional Cool Whip and top with slivered almonds. Store in freezer for up to a week.