These beautiful Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are easy to make and perfect for summer snacking! Coat your cookies with a layer of your favorite sprinkles or fold the sprinkles right into the batter.
- 2 3/4 cups (358g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (233g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (28g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sprinkles for mixing in, optional*
- 1 cup – 1 1/4 cups sprinkles for rolling, optional*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the dough is well combined, but don’t over-mix. It will be thick and a little sticky.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of sprinkles, if you’re mixing them into your cookie dough.
- Create 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll the dough into a ball, then roll each ball in the additional sprinkles to coat them, if desired. Set the balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will look soft, but should look done. Don’t over-bake. The cookies will be a little puffy when you take them out of the oven but will fall a bit as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes 32-38 cookies. It’s closer to 38 if you add the sprinkles into the cookie dough and it’s closer to 32 if you don’t.
The amount of sprinkles you need for rolling the cookies can vary a little based on how many cookies you get and how big the sprinkles are.
Keywords: sprinkle cookies, soft sugar cookies recipe, easy cookies recipe, how to make sugar cookies, how to make homemade sugar cookies, how to make sugar cookies from scratch