This Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is a classic in our house! I’ve been having it on holiday mornings since I was a kid and have carried the tradition into adulthood.
- 6 slices bread, cubed*
- 1 lb sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
1. Spread the bread evenly into the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Sprinkle the sausage and cheese evenly over the bread.
3. In a large measuring cup, combine the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the ingredients in the pan.
5. Cover and chill overnight.
6. Prior to baking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until set. Cover it loosely for the first 30 minutes or so, then bake uncovered for the reminder. You may need to bake it for a little more or less time depending on your oven and how soft or “runny” you prefer the eggs to be. I don’t really like it to be runny, but I also don’t want it to dry out. To check it, use a fork or knife to stick in the middle and see how soft it still is.
7. Remove from oven when done and serve warm.
*I like to use a little bit sturdier bread. Often I use the Pepperidge Farms Sourdough loaf.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 878.2 mg
- Fat: 26.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5 g
- Protein: 22.6 g
- Cholesterol: 210.3 mg
Keywords: overnight breakfast casserole, holiday brunch casserole, holiday breakfast recipe, sausage breakfast casserole, breakfast casserole recipe