This easy Chocolate Mug Cake is the quickest way to make a moist chocolate cake. It only takes 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients! Hands down the best mug cake recipe!
Moist & Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
This decadent chocolate mug cake is so moist and chocolatey! It’s the best quick-fix dessert to make when you’re craving chocolate cake. It’s made with a dash of baking soda to keep it light, fluffy and rich in flavor. I love adding chocolate chips, peanut butter or Nutella into this cake. There are so many flavor variations to try, and each one is incredibly delicious!
It’s amazing to be able to make a little cake whenever you want in just a few quick minutes. The only problem is that it’s so good, you’ll want to make it all the time. And it’s so easy that you can!
What is a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is a single-serving, microwaveable cake that cooks in about a minute. It’s made in a coffee mug and eaten with a spoon. Not only are mug cakes super quick, but they use minimal ingredients and baking equipment.
If you’ve never tried a mug cake before, this chocolate one is sure to spark a newfound mug cake obsession! It’s a variation of my popular Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe.
One of the best things about a mug cake is that it only needs simple pantry ingredients. Perfect for a spur of the moment chocolate cake fix!
Be sure to check the recipe card at the bottom of this post for specific amounts.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder: For the richest chocolate flavor, I recommend using natural, unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Baking Soda
- Oil: Either vegetable oil or canola oil will do.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips: You can substitute the chocolate chips for any add-ins you like!
Why Doesn’t This Recipe Have Eggs?
You may notice that there’s no egg in this recipe. There’s no need! It rises beautifully without it and you don’t need to use some tiny little part of an egg that’s hard to measure. The omission of the egg also gives this cake a wonderful spongey texture. I wasn’t kidding when I said you could make a decadent chocolate mug cake with only a few simple ingredients!
How to Make a Chocolate Mug Cake
Now that you have your ingredients assembled, it’s time to make your mug cake in the microwave. It’s so easy!
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Add the milk, oil, vanilla extract and water and whisk together until well combined.
- Pour Into Mug: Pour the batter into a microwave-safe mug that’s at least 14 ounces in size so that there’s room for the cake to rise in the cup.
- Add Extras: Add any extras, such as chocolate chips, a scoop of Nutella, etc. No need to push them down, they’ll sink a bit as it bakes in the microwave.
- Cook: Put the mug in the microwave and heat for 60-90 seconds, or until the center is just set (the edges will seem a little wet and pull away from the sides, and that’s fine). It took about 70 seconds in my microwave, which is 900 watts. All microwaves vary, so keep that in mind as you adjust the cooking time for your microwave.
- Let Cool & Serve: Remove the mug from the microwave (careful – it’ll be hot) and allow it to cool for a few minutes, then enjoy with your favorite toppings!
Tips for the Best Mug Cake
Although this mug cake is insanely simple to make, there are a few tricks I use to ensure perfect results. Here’s how you can make sure your mug cake is the best too:
- Use a Large Mug: The bigger your mug is, the more room you’ll have to pile on the toppings! The mug should be able to hold at least 14 ounces.
- Microwave Safe Mug: This may go without saying, but you need to make sure the mug you use is safe to use in the microwave.
- Don’t Overcook: Start checking your mug cake for doneness at the 60 second mark. If you cook it for too long, it could lose its moist and fluffy texture.
- Remove from Microwave Carefully: Just because this cake cooks in 1 minute doesn’t mean the mug won’t get hot. Use a paper towel or an oven mitt to safely remove your mug from the microwave.
- Let Cool: It’s important to give your mug cake a few minutes to cool down after you cook it. The cake will actually continue cooking a bit while it cools, so be sure to let it sit for at least a couple of minutes.
There are so many delightful ways you can top your chocolate mug cake! Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Ice Cream: Make this dessert even more decadent by adding a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream or another flavor you enjoy.
- Peanut Butter/Nutella: I love a good chocolate & peanut butter or chocolate & hazelnut combo. This mug cake will taste amazing if you add a scoop of peanut butter or Nutella on top before or after you cook it.
- Whipped Cream: You really can’t go wrong with whipped cream! I like putting it on top of this cake along with some fresh raspberries or strawberry slices.
- Caramel Sauce: You have to try topping this mug cake with my Easy Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce! The sweet and salty combination is to die for.
This 5-minute Chocolate Mug Cake recipe is the quickest and easiest way to make a delicious chocolate cake. It’s an eggless, single-serving cake that cooks to perfection in your microwave!
- 1/4 cup (33g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (14g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water
- Chocolate chips, Nutella, PB, etc., optional
- Ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla extract and water and whisk together until well combined.
- Pour batter into a microwave safe mug that’s at least 14 ounces in size so that there’s room for the cake to rise in the cup.
- Add any extras, such as chocolate chips, a scoop of nutella, etc. No need to push them down, they’ll sink a bit as it bakes.
- Put the mug in the microwave and heat for 60-90 seconds, or until the center is just set (the edges will seem a little wet and pull away from the sides, and that’s fine). It took about 70 seconds in my microwave, which is 900 watts. All microwaves vary, so keep that in mind as you adjust the cooking time for your microwave.
- Remove the mug from the microwave (careful – it’ll be hot) and allow it to cool for a few minutes, then enjoy with your favorite toppings, such as ice cream!
Keywords: best mug cake, easy mug cake, no eggs