Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes
These Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes are made with soft, moist chocolate cupcakes, a Nutella center and Nutella frosting! They just about melt in your mouth and are full of delicious Nutella flavor!
So for the later part of last week and over the weekend, I traveled to Salt Lake City for a conference. It was a good time and as always, there were several takeaways and things that got me re-motivated, which is one of the things I love about being in the same room with other bloggers. I met new faces and got to hang out with some old ones and it was full of good times.
I have to say though, I was ready to get home. I seriously couldn’t wait to hug the hubs and give my pup a belly rub. I missed them even more than usual and headed right for a big bear hug from the hubs when I walked through the door.
After about 4 days of running around, it was quite nice to plop down on the couch and relax. Not to mention sleeping in my own bed. Is there anything better?
Depending on my mood, the only thing better might be dessert. Especially when spoonfuls of Nutella are involved. The most dangerous part of baking with Nutella is how much of it I want to eat straight out of the jar.
These cupcakes start with a wonderfully moist and soft chocolate cupcake. They are seriously one of the softest chocolate cupcakes ever. Super light. They use the creaming method. As always, be sure to fully cream the butter and sugar to make sure you get that light, fluffy texture.
Once the cupcakes are baked, you’ll remove the centers and fill them with Nutella. Just straight up Nutella. Like I said, the challenge is putting the Nutella in the cupcake instead of directly in your mouth. The struggle is real.
On top of the cupcake is a Nutella frosting with even more Nutella flavor. I like to use a combination of butter and shortening in my frosting (which you can read about here and here), but you can always swap out the shortening for more butter. I added a little Nutella drizzle on top and some chopped hazelnuts, but feel free to finish them off with sprinkles or some other fun garnish.
The final cupcake is FULL of Nutella and chocolate flavor. They just about melt in your mouth with every bite. I love the soft chocolate cupcake with the amazing flavor of Nutella. Hard to beat!
Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 12-15 cupcakes
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp (90ml) water
6 tbsp (43g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (207g) sugar
6 tbsp (90ml) milk
1 cup (308g) Nutella
1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (48g) shortening (or additional butter)
1 cup (308g) Nutella
3 1/2 cups (403g) powdered sugar
5-6 tbsp milk
1/4 cup (77g) Nutella
2 tbsp (30ml) heavy whipping cream
Hazelnut crumbs, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Add water, cocoa powder and vanilla extract to another medium-sized bowl and combine. Mixture will be thick. Set aside.
4. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until combined.
6. Add chocolate mixture to batter and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is combined.
7. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the batter. Begin by adding half of the dry mix, then mix well. Add the milk and mix well, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until smooth.
8. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 way. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
9. Allow cupcakes to cool about 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
10. To make the frosting, combine the butter and shortening in a large bowl and mix until smooth.
11. Add the Nutella and mix until well combined and smooth.
12. Add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
13. Add about half of the milk and mix until smooth.
14. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
15. Add remaining milk as needed and mix until smooth, keeping an eye on the consistency of the frosting so it doesn’t get too thin.
16. When the cupcakes have cooled, use a cupcake corer to remove the centers.
17. Fill the centers of the cupcakes with Nutella, then pipe the Nutella frosting onto the cupcakes. I use Ateco tip 808.
18. To make the Nutella drizzle, combine the Nutella and whipping cream.
19. Drizzle the mixture over the cupcakes, the sprinkle with hazelnut crumbs, if desired.
This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like: