Quick and Easy Brownies {Like a Box Mix!}

These Quick and Easy Brownies are truly like a box mix brownie, but from scratch! They are so chocolatey, moist and delicious!

Easy from scratch Brownies! Just like a box mix!

I have been searching for a box-mix-like brownie for some time now. I have a couple really great brownies on the blog already – a fudgy one, one that’s kind of cakey and fudgy – and now this one! I would say this is more of a cakey brownie, which I love!

Basic brownies may seem kind of unexciting, but don’t be fooled. These are anything but! Everyone needs a good, solid brownie in their recipe arsenal and this is the one! Sometimes I really just love a delicious brownie, uninterrupted in flavor by all the add-ins.

Easy from scratch Brownies! Just like a box mix!

I mentioned on Tuesday that my parents were in town for the weekend. It’s such a good thing, because I made a couple rounds of brownies and someone had to help me eat them all!

I totally get my sweet tooth from my dad. I still remember him eating cookies for breakfast when I was a kid. He’s gotten some better eating habits since then, but we both still have the massive sweet tooth.

Easy from scratch Brownies! Just like a box mix!

He agreed with me that these brownies were the best, hands down. Our kind of brownie. Neither of us could keep our hands out of them.

And these brownies are no fuss! There’s no heating things on a stove, microwaving and mixing until butter and sugar reaches a certain temperature, no guess work – just easy and delicious! Perfect for when you want to whip up a quick batch and devour them before anyone even knows they existed. :)

Easy from scratch Brownies! Just like a box mix!

They are quite dark in color in the pictures because I use dark chocolate cocoa in most of my baking. If you’ve never tried it, I really encourage you to. I don’t normally prefer dark chocolate when eating a candy bar, but in baking it makes a much more chocolatey final product. In most cases of course. These brownies being one of them.

I’m sure they’d taste great with regular cocoa. But if you’re willing, give the dark a try.

Either way though, you’ll want to make these ASAP. They are perfect for the chocolate craving you regularly have. :)

Easy from scratch Brownies! Just like a box mix!

Quick and Easy Brownies {Like a Box Mix!}

Yield: 12-16 brownies

Ingredients

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 square baking pan, or line it with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Add eggs and mix until well combined.
4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
5. Slowly add to the egg mixture until well combined.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

Recipe modified from AllRecipes.com

Enjoy!

signature

This post linked to Six Sisters Stuff, Living Well Spending Less, Lambert’s Lately, Love Bakes Good Cakes, Tidy Mom, Yummy Healthy Easy, Inside BruCrew Life, Pint Sized Baker, Chef in Training, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Simply Gloria, Thirty Handmade Days, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, This Gal Cooks, What’s Cooking Love?, Shaken Together

You might also like:

Fudgy Brownies with Crunchy Butterfinger Crust
Brownies_butterfinger_crunch_crust1

Moist and Chewy Brownies
Brownies1_new

Triple Chocolate Cookie Cake
triple_chocolate_cookie_cake3

Comments

1. OMG these are fab! I LOVE the dark cocoa in brownies. And that top – gorgeous. Now I want brownies!
    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted…Mom’s Banana BreadMy Profile

2. You had me at “like box mix”! Everyone needs a good box-mix-esque brownie recipe in their tool-kit. I can’t wait to try these out!

What do you mean about dark cocoa? I know the difference between Dutch-processed and American but I’m not sure I know how to identify a dark variety. Help! I want dark, chocolatey brownies too!
    Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking recently posted…Reese’s Peanut Butter BlondiesMy Profile

3. For all the amazing brownie picture on FG I almost never click on them…but with yours I couldn’t resist! Will be making these tonight…they look so amazing!! :)

4. I love brownies and I can’t wait to try these as well as the “moist and chewy brownies”! I found your blog via Living Well Spending Less Link Party! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Nichole @BudgetLovingMilitaryWife recently posted…Frugal Meal Friday: Southwest Black Bean CasseroleMy Profile

5. I definitely agree that sometimes it’s nice to just have a no-nonsense brownie recipe without all the crazy add ins. I love that you used dark chocolate cocoa powder–I bet it makes the chocolatey flavor even more intense! I’ll have to see if I can find some.
    Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker recently posted…Apple Butternut Squash SoupMy Profile

6. These look amazing. The crust on top is perfect and they look so dark and moist and fudgy! Mmmmm
    Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} recently posted…What’s in My Bag Baby!?My Profile

7. I love how perfectly cracked these brownies are, that means they are especially fudgy-just how I like them!
    Tanya Schroeder recently posted…Irish Cream BrowniesMy Profile

8. I used to make homemade brownies but haven’t done so in a long time. Yours look amazing!
    Tonia recently posted…Funfetti Ooey Gooey BarsMy Profile

9. We must come from the same family because I have a crazy sweet tooth and brownies are one of my very favorite desserts! When I want something sweet, I crave a brownie. These look absolutely perfect. Easy recipe and amazing brownies. I am totally making these. I’ll have to try the dark cocoa too. Thanks for sharing on Saturday Night Fever. I can’t wait to try these! Pinned, of course! See you again this Saturday!
    Jen @ YummyHealthyEasy recently posted…Easy Pesto Pita Bread PizzasMy Profile

10. jaemie louise robarios says:

Hi! I tried the quick and easy brownies. Though they are delicious, they definitely turned out to be more cakey than fudgy. I was hoping to get my brownies fudgier than they are cakey. I followed the recipe here. However, my oven can only reach up to 250 degrees. Is the temp a factor that I need to consider if I want to get my brownies fudgy? Please help. Do you have any suggestions? I am really craving for awesome brownies right now! Haha >.< thanks as always! :)

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

They are more of a cakey brownie. If you want a truly fudgy brownie, this recipe is perfect! Just leave off the butterfinger topping, if you don’t want it.

• jaemie louise robarios says:

Thanks so much for the advise! And I will definitely try this with the butterfinger crust! Your recipes are just pure genius! Hoping to learn more and more from you. Thanks as always and God bless! :)

11. What kind of dark cocoa powder do you use?
    I’ve tried using ruddy reds darker 32% cocoa but it never seemed to work for me. Any suggestions?

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I pretty much always use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa. I don’t normally prefer dark chocolate, but in baking it seems to give better chocolate flavor.

12. Oh my gosh! These brownies are so easy and so incredibly good! My family is raving about them! Thank you for this post. This will be my go-to brownie recipe forever! :)

13. I am in love with this so good!!!! The only thing was I didn’t add Bonilla extract but it was still a heavenly tasting brownie

14. I only have a 13x9x2 pan at my house how do I change the recipe for this? Please Help!! :)

15. I will bake this tomorrow!!! So happy found ur web lindsay. I cant fond hershey dark choco in malaysia :( is it if i replace oil with butter? Tq

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I haven’t tried replacing the oil with butter and am not sure how it’d turn out. Something I’d like to test as well.

16. Can i use butter instead of oil?? Awesome recipe btw♡♥♡♥

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I don’t know, I haven’t tried it. I’ve been wanting to though. I thick it would change it a bit, I’m just not sure how much. Thanks!

• These brownies are so yummy… i just made them and the are gooey and chewy and awesome….and cheap because they dont need all that 70%chocolate…this is my new go to brownie recipie now … thank you so much for this awesome recipie… you are great..

17. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe…I’m so glad I decided to give it a whirl…they were absolutely delicious….I will never buy box mix again!

18. Thank you! The brownies were amazing! Your ideas are certainly the best. Thanks again!

19. Wow, these brownies look absolutely PERFECT! I love the beautiful tops and how dark they are! They look super chocolatey and just amazing. Need to try this recipe ASAP!

20. Made these brownies tonight and they were fantastic! I added coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and they turned out divine, even if i did add a TBSP +1/2 of vanilla on accident! The crispy top and the soft gooey center was to die for, snuck quite a few “tastes” before serving.

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Tasha! Good to know that the coconut oil works well too – thanks for letting me know! :)

21. Looking forward to making these!

Also, can the sugar amount be reduced? or can apple sauce be used for some of the sugar substitute?
    Thanks!

22. These were fabulous!!!!!! I used walnut oil since that was all I had. Yummy and perfect.

23. Hi! Can I substitute 3/4 Cup butter instead of vegetable oil? If yes, it should be melted or not necessary? Thanks!

24. Excellent and easy recipe, although mine needed almost 20 more minutes baking time. Delicious!

25. Olive_oil88 says:

I love Hershey special dark anything, and i love brownies. Trying these tonight! Can’t wait!

26. Thanks for a great, yummy and easy recipe.
    I made them last night and added two teaspoons of white yoghurt – absolutely scrumptious :)

27. I just made these and they’re delicous! I used a 13×9 baking pan and used slightly less sugar because I didn’t have enough. Came out delicious

28. Just made these. Didn’t have vegetable oil so I subbed with coconut oil. Had to just about double my cooking time for the toothpick to come out dry but they smell amazing. Just waiting for them to cool and we will have them after dinner tonight. :)

29. What can i replace egg with since i’m a vegetarian

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I haven’t tried it, but have read that you can replace an egg with 1/4 cup applesauce. It’d be worth a try.

30. Made these last night, but used coconut oil instead of veg. YUM!!

First time I have made brownies not from a mix in a very long time, so easy and so good!! Thank you!

31. Hi. This is going to sound weird, but I save every little bit of cocoa powder that I have! (I am making little chocolate cakes for boxing day dessert.) Do you think I could use something else to substitute it? Grated chocolate maybe? Thanks, Liv ♥

32. After trying and loving your vanilla cupcake recipe, I had to come back for more. I already had high exoactations and these brownies far surpassed them. I will never resort to a box mix again. Thank you so much for sharing!

33. Hello from Jakarta – Indonesia!
    I just wanna say thank you soo much for this super easy, super yummy, and super quick brownie recipe of yours! I have tested some recipes for brownies (coz my 3 princesses are brownies lovers), and yours is the best! Love it love it! Thank youuuu….. PS: I just slightly changed a bit of this recipe, I mixed the white sugar + palm sugar with the same amount. 😀 :-*

34. Barbara Ewing says:

I am assuming this recipe calls for plain flour and not self-rising? Thanks – they sound delicious!

35. Omgoodness, I made these instead of box (its tradition to have brownies instead of cake for my fiance’s birthday :)) and they were SO GREAT!!! Very happy that I found this site and recipe. I can’t believe I had all the ingredients bit so happy I did!!!

36. I tried my hand at brownies for the first time using your recipe and the outcome was delicious.

Your measurements were spot on and I allowed the batter to bake for 25 minutes.

This really is quick and easy brownies.

Thanks.

37. Can you omit the baking powder?

38. I just pulled these from the oven and I can’t wait to see what my family thinks! They smell lovely and I just added a couple chocolate chips ( Dark chocolate of course) on top. Thanks for the lovely recipe!

39. Is it plain/all purpose flour that is used rather than self raising flour? Thanks

40. Amy Vellozo says:

made these today.
    here are the changes i made.
    I used only 1 cup sugar, and a half cup oil
    Because the oil was reduced, the mixture was stiff.
    I added 1/4 cup water and the mixture poured out perfect!

It did result in a cake type brownie but we like them like that.
    I also added about 1/4 cup of dark brown chocolate chips.

I saved and sent this recipe to my sisters.
    Amy

41. This recipe came out great. I have a shameful preference for boxed brownies over homemade but I do not like all the chemicals that come with it, so this recipe is an excellent find! Thanks!

42. Thanks for the yummy recipe! Just popped a batch in the oven (added some cacao chips) and can’t wait to try! (:

43. If i were to use only 1 cup of sugar will it change the texture or something? I want to reduce the sweetness because i plan to put a layer of caramel in the middle of the brownie.

44. !! They look perfectly gooey!! How do you cut them to look so neat and square? Thanks!

45. omg I found these and im making them right now! i’m going to add in some chocolate chips to make them extra chocolaty. Thanks for this great recipe Lindsay!!

46. I’ve never been able to master chocolate brownies, but not only was I able to make a perfect brownie, but also they are the best brownies I have ever had!!

Highly recommend!!

Although, I did use only 2 eggs, still worked fabulously.

47. I made these for Valentine’s Day last night and they were SUPER dry and not very sweet. I followed the recipe precisely.

48. Lindsay, I found this brownie recipe on Pinterest. I usually just use a mix for brownies. I don’t know why since I bake from scratch. Well I didn’t have any more brownie mix so I made yours. Amazing! My hubby loves them. Thank you so much. Now that I have an easy recipe, I will never buy mix again. That officislly ends pre packaged baking mixes in my house! Awesome recipe.They came out perfect.

49. Loved these :) Done them in a muffin pan! Turned out very yummy. Was looking for something quick and easy. Hopefully my coworkers enjoy them also. Topped them off with sprinkles on some and coconut on others

50. What could I use instead of vegetable oil, that’s healthier?

• lifeloveandsugar@gmail.com says:

I’m not totally sure, since I haven’t tested anything myself. There are some healthier oils out there you could try though, like coconut oil, sunflower oil or even olive oil.

51. I made these recently for a friend’s birthday party. I made about 1.5x the recipe and added 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips. (I really love dark chocolate.) Everyone raved about them and I had multiple people ask me for the recipe. I directed them here. I love your recipes! Keep up the awesome cooking!

52. Just made these with my friend, slaved away trying to make them for a late night snack, and what do we find? That the oil and sugar mixture looks like a SLUSHIE and the whole taste of the final product is, to put it politely, revolting. The top layer of the brownie is borderline edible, and don’t even get me STARTED on the main brownie. I’m extremely sorry to say this, and maybe something went completely wrong or the vegetable oil in the UK is different, but yeah, not good. The taste of the final brownie was just pure oil- afraid to say, it did make me gag. Again, i do apologise, but thought it would be good to give you feedback. All the best, Janice.

53. Are you using sweetened or un-sweeted coca powder?

Trackbacks

1. […] Quick and Easy Brownies from Life, Love and Sugar […]

2. […] Ingredient Samoa Brownies Keep It Simple, Sweetie | Caramel Brownies Life, Love & Sugar | Quick and Easy Brownies Little House Living | Made from Scratch Brownies Fantastical Sharing of Recipes | Ultimate Thin […]

3. […] Quick and Easy Brownies | Life Love and Sugar […]

4. […] that don’t come from a box, but are just as easy (and OMG better tasting), then check out Love and Sugar.  She has a recipe that even you can make. […]