This flavorful 4-ingredient Stick of Butter Rice is the easiest and tastiest side dish you’ll ever make. It’s a timeless recipe that my family has loved forever – and yours will too!
The Best Buttered Rice Recipe
I have shared this recipe with so many friends over the years, I’ve completely lost count. Not a single person has ever tried this rice without asking me for the recipe! It is that good, and it couldn’t be easier to make.
Everything is just thrown into a pan and baked. Two rich and savory soups are used in addition to the rice and butter to provide the most incredible flavor imaginable! Even kids adore this comforting baked rice.
The first time our twins tried it, they gobbled up more than I could’ve imagined. Our baby loves it too! I was actually joking with a friend about this the other day – our kids are used to brown-colored rice being this rice that whenever they see regular brown rice, they expect this. When they bite into other things, it’s immediately a no-go. This is the only “brown rice” they’ll eat. And I can’t say I blame them!
Why Bake Rice?
If you haven’t tried baking rice before, consider this recipe your sign. Baking rice is so much easier than boiling it! Plus, there’s no need to hang around in the kitchen and watch the pot like a hawk so you can get your rice just right. The oven cooks it perfectly every time!
What You’ll Need
Let’s go over exactly which ingredients you’ll need to make the most irresistible baked butter r ice.
- Rice: Dry and uncooked long-grain rice. I use white rice.
- Condensed French Onion Soup
- Condensed Beef Consommé Soup: You’ll need one 10-ounce can of each soup.
- Stick of Butter
What Kind of Rice Should I Use?
I like to use long-grain white rice for this recipe. If you’d prefer using medium or short-grain rice, you may need to reduce the cook time just a bit. Whatever you do, be sure to use white rice and not brown rice, which requires more liquid and a longer cook time.
How to Make Stick of Butter Rice
You could slice up your butter and drop it over the rice and soups, but you don’t even have to! As my mom always says, “It’s so easy, you just plop the whole stick of butter in there. Don’t even stir it!”
Prep for Baking: Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray an 8 or 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Add Ingredients to Baking Dish: Add all of the ingredients to your prepared baking dish. You don’t need to do anything to the stick of butter – just put it right in there.
Cover & Cook: Cover the pan with foil and bake the rice for 30 minutes.
Stir, Uncover & Return to Oven: Remove the foil covering, quickly stir the rice and bake it for 30-40 minutes more, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
Enjoy! Give the rice a stir and serve it warm.
Tips for Success
Even though this rice is practically effortless, there are still a few important notes to keep in mind when you’re making it. Here they are!
- Don’t Forget to Grease the Baking Dish: Since this rice isn’t stirred until about halfway through the cooking process, it’s important to coat your baking dish with nonstick spray. If you don’t, your rice may get stuck to the pan.
- Cook Covered, Then Uncovered: After you bake your rice for 30 minutes with the foil covering, stir it, remove the cover and finish baking it. This process helps all of the rice cook evenly and not dry out.
- Stir Before Serving: Be sure to give your rice a good stir before you serve it. As it cools, the top can dry out a bit – this final stir helps to re-distribute the moisture.
Baked butter rice is a worthwhile addition to any meal under the sun. Try one of the following pairing ideas for a totally drool-worthy lunch or dinner.
- Serve with Meatballs: This rice would go well with meatballs, such as these Grape Jelly Meatballs.
- Pair with Pork Roast: This Easy Instant Pot Pork Roast combines tender meat and hearty veggies into one amazing meal. The only way to make it better is by serving it alongside your butter rice!
- Serve with Salad: Looking for something on the lighter side? I highly recommend whipping up my Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad. It’s packed with fresh flavors that complement this rice like a dream.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover rice should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge after it has cooled completely. It’s best to enjoy it within 2-3 days of making it. Individual portions reheat well in the microwave.Print
Stick of Butter Rice
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
This flavorful 4-ingredient Stick of Butter Rice is the easiest and tastiest side dish you’ll ever make. It’s a timeless recipe that my family has loved for generations – and yours will too!
- 1 cup (180g) uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (10 oz) can of condensed French Onion Soup
- 1 (10 oz) can of condensed Beef Consommé Soup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8 or 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add all the ingredients to your baking dish. You do not need to do anything to the stick of butter, just put it right in there.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, stir quickly and bake for 30-40 minutes more, or when the liquid has all been absorbed.
- Give the rice a stir and then serve.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- To Store: Keep cooled rice in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 564.7 mg
- Fat: 19.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 49.8 mg
Keywords: buttered rice, baked rice, best rice
More Amazing Rice Recipes
There are so many creative ways to prepare regular old rice! Try these tasty dishes next:
This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This rice is amazing – our family’s new favorite!
So glad to hear that!
Made this tonight. I did use 1/2 the butter. It was delicious! Thank you.
So glad you enjoyed it!
Turn this into wildrice casserole by adding small chopped bell pepper and small can sliced mushrooms drained. I sprinkle them on top along with the butter cut into pats.
I have not made this yet, but I am going to soon. I would like to know if the 1 cup of rice would feed 5?
5 adults? Or are there kids in there? This should feed five adults with one serving each. But in my experience, people tend to really love it, so sometimes I double it if it’s all adults that eat quite well. It feeds our family of five and my kids eat a pretty normal portion.
Hi Lindsey, I live in the UK and unfortunately I cannot locate condensed French onion soup. Is there any other alternative I can substitute to make this recipe work?
You could try using two beef consume soups. Someone else mentioned in the comments that they often add onion to it, so you can even try that too.
I have added dry onion soup mix to 10 ozs. Chicken broth after boiling just add. DELICIOUS!!
FAVORITE RICE RECIPE FOR YEARS!!! We add a jar of drained whole mushrooms for the mushroom lovers…easy to pick out☺️
Yes! My mom used to add mushrooms when I was a kid and I always picked them out lol.
We loved this rice; I did not have long grain rice, so I used Uncle Ben’s Converted rice. Next time I will only use half a stick of butter because it seemed kind of greasy or do you think the rice made it that way?
I’m 57 and been eating this since the late 70’s. It is soooooo good. I’m gonna make some just to taste it again. I really can’t eat it because of my change of lifestyle. One bite shouldn’t cause a problem.
I HAVE MADE THIS RICE FOR YEARS! MY FAMILY LOVES IT. ONLY THING WE DO DIFFERENT IS ADD A SMALL CAN OF SLICED MUSHROOMS. MAKES IT EVEN BETTER
Yes, my mom would always add mushrooms. I just don’t personally like them. 🙂
I already know that I want to double this recipe and will use a 9 X 13 pan. Do I need to adjust the cooking time?
Yes, it’ll definitely take longer. It may not double the cooking time, but close.