With grilled chicken, blueberries, feta and a balsamic vinaigrette over mixed greens, this Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad is a filling and nutritious salad. Perfect for hot summer days when you need something light, healthy and easy. I’m totally in love with all the flavors!
A Fresh & Healthy Summer Salad
This Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad is currently my very favorite salad. I am obsessed with it. The combination may seem a little strange at first but I promise, blueberry and feta is not as strange as it seems.
I love the refreshing pops of fruit and cucumber and am a sucker for feta cheese. Combine it all with some chicken for protein and balsamic vinaigrette and I’m one happy girl. I foresee myself eating this again and again this summer, especially when blueberries are in season. Just the thought of this with freshly picked blueberries makes my mouth water!
I typically have this salad as a meal with the chicken in it, but you can also serve it on the side without any chicken. It’s an easy way to add some bold flavor and lots of healthy ingredients to almost any dinner. You can’t go wrong either way.
This recipe is light and great for summer – one of those meals you’re drawn too when it’s scorching hot out and you need to eat but the last thing you want is to really cook. On days like those, salads really do save the day!
What You’ll Need
Not only are we making this salad from fresh ingredients, we’re also making the balsamic vinaigrette from scratch as well!
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- Olive oil – The oil base to the vinaigrette.
- Balsamic vinegar – You can’t have balsamic vinaigrette without balsamic vinegar!
- Garlic – Minced to spread the flavor throughout the dressing.
- Honey – Adds sweetness to contrast the vinegar.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
For the Chicken Salad:
- Chicken breasts – Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
- Spring mix greens – You can buy a prepared mix or make your own.
- Dried cranberries – Adds a sweet but tart flavor.
- Blueberries – Fresh blueberries are best.
- Red onion – Red onion provides the best flavor.
- Cucumber – Chopped or slice the cucumber.
- Crumbled feta – I get plain feta, but you could also chose a flavored one.
How To Make Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad
There’s only 4 steps to making this chicken salad! You can have this prepared, including cooking the chicken, in just 30 minutes.
- Make the vinaigrette. Combine all ingredients in a bowl or mason jar and whisk together well. Set aside.
- Cook the chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. then grill. Allow the cooked chicken to rest, then slice.
- Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients. Top with the chicken then toss with the vinaigrette.
- Serve. Divide the salad onto 2 or 3 plates if enjoying for a meal.
Tips for Success
The beauty of salads is that it’s hard to mess them up. That said, here are a few tips to making the best chicken blueberry feta salad.
- Add in your favorite ingredients. Almonds, pistachios, and avocado all make tasty, healthy add-ins.
- Cook the chicken to 165F. Use an internal thermometer to check the temperature before removing from the grill.
- For meal prep, hold the dressing. This chicken salad makes a great make-ahead lunch! Just hold the dressing to the side and add just before eating.
- Use fresh blueberries. Avoid frozen blueberries for this recipe. Fresh blueberries have not only a better flavor but texture too.
I LOVE this salad as a light and healthy lunch or dinner during the summer. Seriously, just a big bowl of this is enough to fill me up, keep me full, and make me really happy. I love all the bright colors and flavors in this!
If you need a little “more” to your salad, you can serve with bakery-fresh bread.
To make a blueberry feta side salad, just omit the chicken. Then enjoy this as a side dish to any meal. I particularly love this with some fresh off-the-grill steak or chicken.
How to Store Leftovers
If you’ve already added the balsamic vinaigrette, this chicken salad is best enjoyed fresh. However, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Just note that the texture of the greens may change as they absorb the dressing.
Can I Make Chicken Feta Salad in Advance?
This Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad makes an easy meal-prep lunch! If you’re going to make this salad in advance, follow the instructions and simply omit adding the dressing. If I’m packing this for lunch, I’ll take the balsamic vinaigrette in a separate container to pour over just before I dig in.Print
With grilled chicken, blueberries, feta and a balsamic vinaigrette over mixed greens, this Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad is a filling and nutritious salad. Perfect for hot summer days when you need something light, healthy and easy.
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
For the Chicken Salad:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups (5 oz | 142g) spring mix greens
- 1/2 cup (65g) dried cranberries
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups (149g-186g) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (65g) chopped red onion
- 1 cup (135g) chopped cucumber
- 3/4 cup (92g) crumbled feta
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a bowl or mason jar and whisk together well. If using a mason jar, you can also give it a good shake to combine. Set aside.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, then grill over high heat for 6-8 minutes per side or until it reaches 165 degrees F. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- In a large bowl, add the spring mix, then top with cranberries, blueberries, onion, cucumber and feta. Top with sliced chicken, then toss with the vinaigrette.
- Divide salad between 2 or 3 plates and enjoy!
Keywords: grilled chicken salad, blueberry salad, balsamic vinaigrette