These Mimosa Cupcakes are made with a moist champagne cupcake and fresh orange frosting! They are fun cupcake recipe for any time you want a little bubbly!
- 1 cup (240ml) champagne
- 6 tbsp (84g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (155g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (58g) sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2–3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp champagne
- Orange slices
1. Add the champagne to a medium sized saucepan and cook over medium heat until you’ve got a 1/2 cup remaining. Don’t boil. To measure how much champagne remains, pour into a glass measuring cup. Add it back to the pan if it needs longer to cook down. When done, refrigerate until cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the amount of creaming time.
4. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
5. Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
6. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine the milk and cooled champagne in a small measuring cup.
7. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
8. Fill the cupcake liners a little more than halfway. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
9. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
10. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Combine the butter and shortening in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
11. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
12. Add the orange zest and 1 tablespoon of orange juice and mix until smooth.
13. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
14. Add the remaining orange juice and the champagne as needed for the right consistency of frosting and mix until smooth.
15. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 844.
16. Decorate the cupcakes with orange slices, or your preferred decorations.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 38.9 g
- Sodium: 123.1 mg
- Fat: 16.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.5 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 14.9 mg
Keywords: mimosa cupcakes recipe, new years eve dessert recipe, champagne dessert recipe, champagne cupcakes, buttercream frosting, boozy desserts