Easiest Ever Banana Bread Recipe
This Easy Banana Bread Recipe makes a moist loaf with TONS of banana flavor! You’re going to love this classic, moist banana bread that’s perfect for all those over ripe bananas!
MOIST & EASY BANANA BREAD
Any recipe with bananas is pretty much a favorite in our house and banana bread is no exception. It’s the perfect snack, it’s great with coffee for breakfast and you could even call it dessert, if you wanted.
As I was testing out this recipe, we had several loafs around the house. My parents came into town and we were ALL enjoying it. Not only are the hubs and I big banana fans – so is my dad. I thought there might be a throw down over who got every last bite, but fortunately I had made several loafs and there was plenty to go around.
And even though the twins don’t really eat baked goods much at this point, we did give them a few bites of this banana bread. They too love bananas and are always interested in whatever we are eating. So every morning they saw us with this banana bread, they waddled over with their little mouths wide open waiting for a bite. Such cuties!
And since this bread is so quick and easy to put together, it’s perfect for using up over ripe bananas. Much like these Moist and Chewy Banana Oatmeal Cookies, this recipe is one you’ll come back to over and over for an easy banana recipe.
WHAT’S IN THIS SIMPLE BANANA BREAD?
To make banana bread, you’ll need pretty straightforward ingredients. Naturally the first thing you need is bananas. I wanted to be sure there’s plenty of banana flavor, so this bread uses a full 2 cups of mashed bananas – about 4 large bananas. I like to mash them up with a muddler, but you could also simply use a fork.
Next up are the dry ingredients. We are using regular all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda, a little salt and cinnamon. Combine them all and set them aside. I like using both the baking powder and soda because I think it makes a better textured bread. It makes such a nice, soft bread that holds moisture so well! And that little hint of cinnamon is just enough to compliment the banana flavor without taking over at all.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD
Cream the butter and sugar: To your mixer, you’ll add butter and brown sugar. I used all brown sugar in this bread for both the added flavor and the benefit of moisture.
Add the eggs & sour cream: Eggs are added next and add additional moisture and stability to the banana bread, as well as tenderness. The sour cream adds just a hint of flavor and more importantly, more moisture.
Add bananas & vanilla: Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract until everything is combined.
Add dry ingredients: Gently stir in the dry ingredients. You want to mix it all together until it’s just incorporated. Be sure not to over mix it or you’ll end up with a tough bread.
Bake & Cool: Bake the bread for about an hour, then let it cool in the loaf pan. Serve it warm or at room temperature. The hubs loves warming it up and adding a little butter. I’ll eat it however it’s given to me, I just want to eat it. 🙂
WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST BANANA BREAD RECIPE?
- It’s easy: Banana bread is one of those classic, simple recipes that everyone needs to have in their recipe box.
- It’s moist: There’s nothing like a warm slice of moist banana bread to make you feel all cozy. This loaf will hit all those notes and more.
- Tons of banana flavor: I love how this bread makes the flavor of ripe bananas shine! If you’re a banana lover then you’re going to love this recipe.
You obviously don’t need to top your bread with anything. A plain slice of banana bread can really hit the spot! But if I’m feeling fancy, sometime I’ll warm up a slice in the oven or microwave and then top it with a drizzle of honey or a pat of butter. (Or both, why not?) When I can get my hands on it, slathering a slice with maple cream is also seriously good!
TIPS FOR STORING & FREEZING
If you’re a true banana bread connoisseur and you know it won’t last long, you can store it in an air tight container at room temperature for about 3-5 days. You could also store in it the fridge for about a week.
If you’d like to freeze the banana bread, you can freeze it either in loaf form or in slices. Slices are kind of nice because you can pull out one at a time. However you freeze it, wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap, then a layer of foil. Add the loaf or slices to a plastic freezer bag and store for 2-4 months. When you’re ready to use it, thaw it in the fridge or on the counter.
More banana recipes to try:
Easy Banana Bread Recipe
This Easy Banana Bread Recipe makes a moist loaf with a tender crumb and TONS of banana flavor! It’s a classic recipe that’s perfect for all those over ripe bananas!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (168g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (77g) sour cream
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large ripe bananas)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, add the butter and brown sugar and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just combined before adding the next.
5. Add the sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla extract and mix util combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over mix or you’ll end up with tough banana bread.
7. Add the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. To test for doneness, a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf should come out clean.
8. Remove loaf from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan. Slice and serve when ready.
9. Store the bread in an air tight container at room temperature for 3-5 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: easy banana bread recipe, best banana bread recipe, how to make banana bread, moist banana bread, sour cream banana bread, healthy, simple, homemade