Old Fashioned Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
This Easy Apple Crisp Recipe is a classic old fashioned dessert that makes you feel all warm and cozy! Made with fresh sliced apples coated in a cinnamon-brown sugar, then topped with cinnamon oat topping. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and homemade salted caramel sauce!
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
One thing that’s so great about apple crisp is how simple and easy it is to put together. The filling is similar to an apple pie, yet it takes less than half the work and you don’t have to bother with pie crust. Instead, it’s got a great oat topping made with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. It reminds me a bit of streusel, but a little crispier and with oats.
Then there’s the filling. I prefer an apple mixture that has enough juiciness to it, but isn’t too soupy. This apple crisp has a little bit of flour added, which helps makes it more of a nice sauce that coats the apples and isn’t too thin.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR A CRISP?
I personally like granny smith apples. The tart apples pair really well with the sweet filling and makes for a great flavor.
Other great apple options would be Honeycrisp, Gala or Red Delicious apples. You could also use a mix of a couple different types of apples to give it even more flavor.
This apple crisp uses simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make an old-fashioned crisp:
- Brown Sugar
- Lemon Juice
(See the recipe card below for ingredient amounts.)
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRISP
This Apple Crisp is seriously SO simple to make! The most time consuming part is just peeling and slicing the apples.
From there, the topping is made by combining all the ingredients except the butter. Cut the butter into cubes and added to the other ingredients, then cut into them to create a crumbly topping. You could use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter, but I find that a fork gives me better control.
The filling is literally made by combining everything and tossing it into the pan. SUPER easy!
Top the apples with the cinnamon oat topping and bake until the apples are tender. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then serve.
This Apple Crisp is seriously delicious, full of flavor and the perfect easy dessert for fall!
TIPS FOR THE BEST APPLE CRISP
- Slice the apples thinly and evenly so that you don’t end up with some apples that aren’t cooked through.
- I do recommend peeling the apples. Leaving the skin on will give a chewier texture to the apple filling.
HOW TO SERVE APPLE CRISP
I personally love eating warm apple crisp with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and a generous drizzle of salted caramel sauce. The mix of sweet cream with salty caramel, combined with the soft apples and crunchy oat topping is pure heaven. If you prefer to use a traditional caramel sauce, I also have an easy classic caramel recipe you can try!
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT A CRISP
You can store your crisp in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat the crisp simply scoop the amount you want into a bowl and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, depending on how big your serving is. Add your favorite toppings and dig in!
More Apple Recipes for Fall
Easy Apple Crisp
This Easy Apple Crisp is made with fresh sliced apples coated in a cinnamon and brown sugar sauce, then topped with a cinnamon oat topping!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Cinnamon Oat Topping
- 1/2 cup (65g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (90g) old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (168g) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 5 cups (595g) thinly sliced granny smith apples (about 4 large apples)
- 1/4 cup (56g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (16g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all of the ingredients for the topping, except for the butter, to a medium sized bowl and stir to combine.
3. Add the cold butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and comes together. Set aside.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the apples and stir together so that the apples are well coated, then pour the mixture into an 8 or 9 inch square dish. 5. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the topping is golden around the edges and the apples are tender. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes prior to serving.
Keywords: easy apple crisp, apple crisp topping, best apple crisp recipe, apple crisp with oatmeal, best apples for crisp