This Banana Cream Pie is a traditional masterpiece with a small twist to add extra banana flavor! It’s insanely delicious!
PIE CRUST AND FILLING
- Pillsbury pie crust
- 2–3 bananas
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Blind bake the pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan according to the package directions. Once it’s done baking, set aside to cool.
2. Add a row of thickly sliced bananas to the bottom of the pie crust.
3. Put the egg yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and whisk together to combine.
5. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
6. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
7. Add a little bit of the milk mixture to the eggs, then add egg mixture to milk mixture, along with mashed bananas.
8. Place pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring continuously.
9. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
10. Pour the filling into the pie, covering the sliced bananas, and cover with clear wrap pressed against the top so that it doesn’t get a film on top. Refrigerate until firm.
11. To make the whipped cream, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on high until stiff peaks form.
12. Spread whipped cream on top of pie, then add a few additional sliced bananas.
Keywords: banana cream pie recipe, banana cream pie, banana pie, banana pie recipe, banana dessert recipe, banana dessert, banana recipe, cream pie recipe