Apple Crumb Cheesecake Pie
This Apple Crumb Cheesecake Pie is made with a layer of cheesecake, homemade apple pie filling and an oatmeal crumb topping! The flavors and all the textures are wonderful together and it’s a terrific pie!
Today I’m excited to share a brand new cookbook with you from my friend Jocelyn of the blog Inside BruCrew Life. It’s one I know you’ll love because it’s all about cheesecake and appropriately titled “Cheesecake Love”. If you hang around this site a lot, you know I LOVE me some cheesecake, so I have been pumped for her book to come out and to be able to share it with you!
Since the cookbook is all about cheesecake, there’s a nice variety of all kinds of ways to incorporate cheesecake into dessert. There’s the regular full sized cheesecakes and minis, plus some no bake ones, brownies, bars and of course pies. And if you don’t get enough cheesecake throughout the day, there’s even a chapter on cheesecake for breakfast!
With fun cheesecakes like Banana Split, Caramel Pecan Cheesecake, Cookies and Cream Mocha Brownie Cake and White Chocolate Blackberry Cheesecake, what’s not to love?! It’d definitely make a great addition to your library, and a great gift this holiday for the cheesecake lover in your life.
So let’s talk a little bit about this cheesecake pie that I get to share with you from her book. Despite several layers of deliciousness, it’s really easy to make. You’ll want to start by making the apple pie filling and then letting it cool. It’s made right over the stove. Sugar, cornstarch, some spices and water are all cooked until thickened, then the apples are added and cooked a bit. It works quite well, giving you the thickened filling without overcooking the apples. You can easily cook the apple filling a couple days ahead too, which is nice.
For the crust, I used a refrigerate pie crust – nice and easy. The first layer to add is the cheesecake layer. Next up is the already made apple pie filling. Because the cheesecake layer is thin before baking, I recommend spooning the filling over it so that it’s even. On top is the oatmeal crumb – SO good and the perfect way to finish it off!
Bake the pie and let it cool at room temperature for about an hour, then refrigerate until firm. The final pie is absolutely delicious! A wonderful combination of textures and such delicious flavors! It was a HUGE hit with our church group. Such a delicious first recipe to try from Jocelyn’s cookbook. I hope you give it a try and definitely check out the new book! It’s a great one!
Apple Crumb Cheesecake Pie
- Yield: 12-14 Servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
APPLE PIE FILLING
- 4 1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp (84g) packed brown sugar
- 6 tbsp (78g) sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Refrigerated pie crust
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups Apple Pie Filling, above
- 1/4 cup (33g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (22g) quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup (56g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla Ice Cream, for serving, optional
- 1/4 cup Caramel Topping, for serving
TO MAKE THE APPLE PIE FILLING:
1. Drizzle the lemon juice over the apples and toss to coat. Set the apples aside.
2. Stir together the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk in the water until everything has dissolved.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the apples and increase the heat to medium-high heat to bring the mixture to a full boil again. Reduce the heat to low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool.
5. Refrigerate the filling in an airtight container for 4-6 hours to thicken. Store in the refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
TO MAKE THE PIE:
6. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick baking spray.
7. Place the pie crust in the pie plate. Fold the edges of the crust under and mold them to your preference. Refrigerate until ready to use.
8. To make the cheesecake layer, beat the cream cheese until creamy.
9. Add the sugar and beat the mixture until smooth.
10. Add the egg and beat until full incorporated. Do not overbeat the batter.
11. Spread the cheesecake batter in the prepared pie crust.
12. Gently spoon the apple pie filling on top of the cheesecake batter.
13. For the crumb topping, mix together the crumb topping ingredients. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apple pie filling.
14. Bake the cheesecake pie for 40 minutes.
15. Remove the pie plate from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Let the cheesecake pie cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate for 2-3 hours, until completely chilled.
16. Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping, if desired.