Triple Berry Trifle Recipe
This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is easy to make and so delicious! It’s a light, no bake dessert that’s filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries.
AN EASY BERRY TRIFLE RECIPE
This easy trifle recipe is completely addicting, which turns out great in this case, because it feels so guilt free. Perfect for those trying to eat a little healthier, but also great for summer and 4th of July (I like to plan ahead. 🙂 )
So I know you might be wondering why I’d post a recipe featured lots of fresh fruit smack dab in the middle of winter. Well, let me tell you, because there are many reasons.
1. This dessert is so nice and light, it seemed like a great time for it. Angel food cake is pretty light as far as cake goes, and cool whip is light and can be fat free. Pudding is pretty light. Fruit is fruit – healthy. It makes this such a great dessert option for those watching their weight. You could even make this into individual trifles.
2. Fruit was on sale at our grocery store. I had to take advantage of the sale.
3. I am dying for summer and fruit season. I love love love fruit and I love it in dessert. And as cold as it’s been in Atlanta the past week (teens and 20s, which is really cold for us), I need a little summer in my life right now.
Plus, like I said, it’s amazing. So why not?
WHAT IS A TRIFLE?
The word “trifle” comes from the old French term “trufle,” which literally means “something whimsical.” A classic trifle is made with layers of custard poured over slices of sponge cake that have been soaked in fruit and sherry. Top it all off with whipped cream and voila, you’ve got an easy no-bake dessert that you can throw together on a whim!
The trifle recipe shared here is a modern spin on the classic dessert with layers of angel food cake tucked between fresh mixed berries, pudding and whipped cream. I’m telling you… it is so good!
Although the finished dessert may look fancy, you only need a few simple ingredients to make this trifle recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix – You could also use vanilla pudding!
- Angel food cake cut into pieces – You can use homemade angel food cake, or store bought.
- Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Cool Whip – You could also use homemade whipped cream or even this strawberry whipped cream!
HOW TO MAKE A TRIFLE
One of the best things about trifles is that putting them together really doesn’t require that much work. In fact, if you have kids around the house this is the perfect kind of recipe for them to help with! They can mix the pudding and help layer the berries, pudding, cake and whipped cream into your serving bowl.
Here’s how to make this trifle recipe:
Prepare your ingredients
- Make the pudding according to the package instructions
- Cut your angel food cake into cubes
- Gather your berries.
- Make your whipped cream if using homemade, or get your Cool Whip ready.
Assemble the trifle
- In a trifle dish or serving bowl, layer about half of the angel food cake pieces.
- Top the cake pieces with about half of the pudding
- Add a layer of berries, about 1/2 a cup of each kind of berry
- Top the berries with whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Repeat until all of your ingredients are used up, finishing with more berries on top.
- Refrigerate your trifle until it’s ready to serve.
MAKE THIS TRIFLE DESSERT YOUR OWN!
You can easily mix things up and adjust ingredients to make this trifle your own. For example:
- Replace the cheesecake flavored pudding with another flavor: Vanilla is a great alternative, but I absolutely love the cheesecake one. The flavor is awesome and is always a hit when I use it.
- Replace the angel food cake with pound cake: I use angel food here just because I like the lightness of angel food.
- Use different fruits: Like diced peaches, mangos and nectarines. Those would all go wonderfully with the berries too!
One of the great things about trifles is how easy they are to put together. Growing up, I actually didn’t bake that much, believe it or not. I did a lot of regular cooking with my mom. She made dinner pretty much every night and I helped a lot. But she’s not into baking, so I didn’t so it that much either.
But we did make trifles. A friend of my mom’s brought a delicious chocolatey one over one night and we fell in love with it and made it all the time. Trifles are awesome, easy and light. You can’t go wrong.
And this summery, fruity one will totally make you happy if you are stuck in a bunch of cold weather right now.
We are actually in Miami right now and can’t believe how perfectly the timing of our trip worked out. We got to leave the cold behind for the weekend and are in Miami until tonight – our happy place. Some friends had their baby baptized yesterday, so we came down for that and to celebrate the hubs’ birthday.
We have some really great friends down here and since we lived in Fort Lauderdale for a few years, we have some favorite spots and things to do and love to come down at least once a year. The first stop was definitely the beach – so stinkin’ relaxing. Every time we’re here, we wonder why in the world we left and if we should forget everything and move back. It’s been about 80 degrees this weekend. Heaven.
Just down the road from our friends, there’s actually the Knaus Berry Farm where you can go right now and pick fresh strawberries. They also have the most amazing cinnamon rolls. Like, crazy good. There was about an hour line to wait for them when my friend went to get them Saturday morning. But they are amazing and totally worth it, so if you’re ever in the area you have to try them. I’d also recommend getting some strawberries – and making this trifle. Both are things you won’t regret.
More Trifle Recipes You Might Like:
Triple Berry Trifle Recipe
This Triple Berry Trifle recipe is easy to make and so delicious! It’s a light, no bake dessert that’s filled with layers of angel food cake, pudding & fresh berries. This trifle is perfect for parties and holidays!
- Prep Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
- two 3.4 oz packages instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix*
- 4 cups milk
- Angel food cake (about 12 oz), cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup chopped raspberries
- 12 oz cool whip (or homemade whipped cream)
Amounts of berries listed are for inside the trifle. If you want to be able to use sliced strawberries to decorate the edges of the layers and have enough berries to add to the top, you’ll need additional berries. I’d recommend at last a 1 lb container of strawberries. If you want to be able to add more blueberries and raspberries to the top, then about 11-12 oz containers.
Keywords: trifle recipe, easy trifle recipe, berry trifle, english trifle, trifle dessert, strawberry trifle