This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Eggnog Crumb Cake has the flavor of eggnog in the cake and the icing, and it’s spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon in the tasty crumb topping! This breakfast coffee cake is perfect for the holidays!
Looking for an eggnog drink recipe? Try my super easy homemade eggnog!
Eggnog Crumb Cake
So after attending church together this past Sunday (and hearing another wonderful message on “Who needs Christmas?” – this time the answer was God needs Christmas 🙂 ), the hubs and I went and got some breakfast at Cracker Barrel. If you’ve never been before, you should totally try it. It’s super southern and I love the store at the front!
Anyways, we ordered breakfast and in an effort to not eat all the things all the time, I just went with the blueberry pancakes that I love so much. Now normally the hubs and I would share some of their biscuits too, but I held back. That’s my current version of “being healthy”. Not getting the biscuits. Ha!
But the hubs did get a couple biscuits that came with his meal. Of course I was eyeing them. It seems so wrong to go to Cracker Barrel and not at least have a bite of a biscuit. So when the waiter came by and asked if he wanted butter or jelly or something for his biscuits, the hubs said jelly.
Correct answer, hubs.
Then the waiter asked if he had a flavor preference, to which the hubs said no. As soon as the waiter was out of ear shot, I said, “Grape. The answer is always grape.” 🙂
The hubs – “Why? So you can have some?”
Me – “Duh. That’s why I keep you around. So I can eat your biscuits.” HA!
Good thing he knows my humor and totally knows I was joking – sort of. 😉
Of course on Christmas morning, I do not hold back. Bring on the good breakfast food! And this Eggnog Crumb Cake totally qualifies. Cake for breakfast = brilliant. Plus, it’s cake so you can eat what’s left all day. At least in my world. 🙂
And my birthday is on Christmas so I can have all the cake I want. And for my birthday, I want you to have cake too. Your welcome.
This cake starts with a delicious, moist eggnog cake. It’s just dense enough to support the weight of all the streusel when it bakes. And have no fear – there’s plenty of streusel crumb topping! That’s totally the best part. The streusel has both cinnamon and nutmeg mixed in to give the cake that perfect spice to match the eggnog.
Tips for Making Eggnog Cake
The cake is fairly thick so it bakes for about 40-45 minutes. It’ll be nice and golden on top. It can be a little tough to tell when it’s done because of all the streusel, but it’ll have just a touch of jiggle to it when you shake it a bit and a toothpick inserted into the center should have some moist crumbs on it, but not be wet. The streusel says kind of soft until it cools, so it’ll still jiggle a touch.
The cake is drizzled with an eggnog glaze and if you are an icing fan like myself, you could double up on it and just douse the cake in it. 🙂
The hubs and I were big fans of this cake! As expected, the hubs was in love with the crumb topping. That’s totally where it’s at!
Other Recipes You’ll EnjoyPrint
This Eggnog Crumb Cake has the flavor of eggnog in the cake and the icing, and it’s spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon in the tasty crumb topping! This breakfast cake is perfect for the holidays!
STREUSEL CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup (130g) flour
- 1 cup (225g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (155g) sugar
- 9 tbsp (126g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp (86g) sour cream
- 6 tbsp (90ml) eggnog
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 4–5 (60-75ml) tbsp eggnog
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Prepare a 9 inch cake pan with a circle of parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
2. To prepare the streusel, combine all the ingredients with the melted butter in a medium sized bowl and mix with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated and crumbly. Set aside.
3. To make the cake batter, beat the sugar and butter until light in color and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the sour cream and eggnog and mix until well incorporated. The batter may seem a little curdled, that’s ok.
5. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
6. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
7. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until smooth.
8. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan.
9. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the cake.
10. Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes. The cake should be a nice golden color on top. It might still jiggle just a touch, but that’s ok. The streusel on top will firm as it cools.
11. Allow the cake to cool, then remove from the cake pan.
12. Combine glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth, then drizzle over the cake. Serve it warm or cool.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 356
- Sugar: 32.3 g
- Sodium: 65.2 mg
- Fat: 16.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.1 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 72.6 mg
Keywords: crumb cake recipe, eggnog cake, breakfast cake, easy cake recipe, homemade cake, homemade cake recipe, best cake recipe, eggnog recipe