This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Easy Taco Tater Tot Casserole recipe combines crispy tater tots with your favorite taco ingredients! A cheesy and flavorful dish that makes a great brunch or dinner idea. It’s bound to become a family favorite!
Table of Contents
- Crispy Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- What Makes This Tater Tot Casserole Recipe So Good?
- What Is Tater Tot Casserole? (a.k.a. Tater Tot Hotdish)
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Substitution & Variation Ideas
- Tips for Success
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- More Easy Comfort Food Dinner Ideas
- Get the Recipe
Crispy Taco Tater Tot Casserole
When it comes to easy dinner ideas, this Taco Tater Tot Casserole recipe is perfect! It’s nice and filling, which makes it great for feeding a crowd. It’s also super easy to make and packs a ton of flavor! I guarantee that if you make this for your family, they will clean their plates almost immediately and ask for seconds. And who doesn’t love tacos?!
Juicy ground beef is combined with tender black beans, melted cheddar cheese, spicy enchilada sauce, and all of your favorite taco toppings! This easy tater tot casserole is perfect for game days, a casual weeknight dinner, parties, and more. Basically, you can make it whenever you want because nobody can resist crispy tater tots, especially if they’re taco tater tots!
As a final note, if you’re in the mood for another Mexican-inspired casserole, try this aptly-named Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole. Or, change things up and try this Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole which is just as comforting!
What Makes This Tater Tot Casserole Recipe So Good?
I mean, what’s better than a plate of crispy tater tots with taco seasoning and enchilada sauce? Here’s why I love this recipe so much, and think you will too:
- Perfect Texture: Each forkful of this casserole is filled with crunchy tater tots, soft black beans, juicy corn, tender ground beef, and creamy avocado if you choose to add it! Words can’t describe what a divine combination this is.
- Simple: Don’t let the list of ingredients scare you – this recipe is super easy to make! All you really have to do is cook the ground beef, assemble the casserole, bake it, and then add your toppings!
- Comforting: After a long day, there’s nothing like a warm plate of cheesy tater tot casserole. It’s so filling and comforting, and perfect for any time of year!
What Is Tater Tot Casserole? (a.k.a. Tater Tot Hotdish)
Otherwise known as a tater tot hotdish, this savory dinner is filled with meat, potatoes, veggies, and cheese. It really has a little bit of everything, which is part of what makes it so good!
This version is made with ground beef, enchilada sauce, and other taco ingredients to make it the perfect meal for Taco Tuesday. It’s also made in just one dish so cleanup is quick, easy, and stress-free!
Let’s talk tater tot casserole recipe ingredients. You can find the precise quantities for each one in the recipe card below!
- Beef: Ground beef makes this casserole a hearty and flavorful dinner.
- Onion: Throwing in some chopped onion will bring out the savory flavors of this dish.
- Garlic: A small amount of garlic is all you’ll need to amp up this meal. Freshly minced garlic provides the boldest flavor.
- Green Chiles: You can never have enough veggies, and green chiles will add a touch of freshness to this recipe.
- Taco Seasoning: I like to use store-bought taco seasoning to keep things nice and simple.
- Salsa: It can be mild salsa, medium salsa, whatever you like!
- Black Beans: These are technically optional, but I love how hearty they make this dish.
- Corn: Throw in some corn for a pop of color and added texture.
- Cheddar Cheese: This casserole wouldn’t be the same without some shredded cheddar cheese. Freshly shredded provides the best flavor!
- Tater Tots: Grab yourself a bag of frozen tater tots! You could also try making this recipe with hashbrowns if you like.
- Red Enchilada Sauce: For a spicy kick, drizzle your dish with some enchilada sauce before baking.
- Cilantro: If you’re a fan of cilantro, be sure to add some to this casserole!
- Sour Cream: A side of tangy sour cream will go perfectly with this savory recipe.
- Avocados: Sliced avocados will add a cool and creamy element to your casserole.
- Tomatoes: Add a few slices of tomato to top this dish off!
How to Make Taco Tater Tot Casserole
This comforting tater tot hotdish dinner comes together in a snap! Here’s how it all happens (if you’re looking for the full set of directions, scroll on down to the recipe card below):
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the Beef, Onion & Garlic: Place the ground beef and onion into a large skillet and cook them until browned. Add the garlic towards the end of the browning process and cook for another minute, then drain.
- Add the Cheese & Taco Ingredients: Add the green chiles, taco seasoning mix, salsa, black beans, corn and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir everything together to combine. If your skillet isn’t big enough, then you can combine it all in your casserole dish.
- Assemble Your Casserole: Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Arrange the frozen tater tots on top of the mixture in a single layer.
- Add Enchilada Sauce: Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake: Bake your casserole uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the tater tots are nice and crispy.
- Top With Cheese: Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top of the casserole and bake for 2-3 more minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve with cilantro, sour cream, avocados and tomatoes, if desired.
Substitution & Variation Ideas
My family is obsessed with this recipe, and I want yours to love it too! You can certainly substitute any toppings or add in whatever else you like. There are tons of different things you can do with this casserole to make it your own.
- Meat: If you make your tacos with chicken or turkey instead of beef, either would go great with this dish.
- Cheese: If cheddar isn’t your thing, feel free to throw in some mozzarella or Monterey Jack instead!
- Chiles: Want to make your casserole more spicy? Substitute the green chiles for red ones.
Tips for Success
Almost there! Here are some tips and tricks that will ensure you get the best results with your taco tater tot casserole:
- Make It Ahead: This casserole is an amazing meal prep recipe! If you want to make it ahead of time, just place it in an airtight container in the freezer before you bake it. I recommend using an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil, but as long as you keep it covered, you’ll be fine. It will last for up to two months in the freezer! When you want to serve it, just make sure to thaw it out completely before baking (add the frozen tater tots just before baking). If you don’t have time to let it thaw completely, you can always just bake it for a few extra minutes.
- Use Lean Ground Beef: It’s slightly healthier, and you (probably) won’t have to drain the juices before you add the ground beef to the baking dish.
- Thaw the Tater Tots: If you thaw the tater tots before preparing the casserole, it is more likely that it won’t come out soggy.
Wondering what to serve with this tater tot hotdish? It’s pretty filling, but these are some of my go-to options:
- Cocktails: If you’re making this dish for a party or celebration, I recommend pairing it with my easy Watermelon Elderflower Cocktails. The fruity flavors are a great compliment to this savory dish. These Mango Margaritas are another tasty cocktail recipe that goes with the taco theme!
- Veggies: Roasted vegetables (like broccoli, asparagus, etc.) go super well with this meal.
- Side Salad: Another great, light side dish option is a simple leafy green salad!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Got some tater tot casserole leftovers? Here’s how to properly store and reheat them:
- To Store: You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, and your casserole will stay fresh for up to 4 days. Make sure you let it cool completely before sticking it in the fridge so it doesn’t get soggy.
- To Reheat: The best way to reheat this casserole is to pop it back in the oven at 375F until warmed through, so that the tater tots regain their crispiness.
More Easy Comfort Food Dinner Ideas
Want to try out some more easy dinner ideas? Check out these ones!Print
This Taco Tater Tot Casserole recipe combines crispy tater tots with your favorite taco ingredients! It’s the perfect cheesy, Mexican-inspired dinner.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15.25 ounce can whole kernel corn
- 3 cups (12 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 28 ounce frozen tater tots
- 1 1/4 cups (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- Cilantro, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Avocado, optional
- Tomatoes, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet and cook until browned and cooked through. Add the garlic towards the end of browning and cook for another minute. Drain.
- Add the green chiles, taco seasoning mix, salsa, black beans, corn and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir together to combine. If your skillet isn’t big enough, you could combine it all in your casserole dish.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Arrange frozen tater tots on top of the mixture in a single layer.
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the top of the casserole
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until tater tots are nice and crispy.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top and bake for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with cilantro, sour cream, avocados and tomatoes, if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 822.4 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8 g
- Protein: 20.1 g
- Cholesterol: 55.3 mg
Keywords: tater tot casserole recipe, taco tater tot casserole, tater tot hotdish