With fresh ingredients and a few seasonings, this Tomato Avocado Salad is an addictive side dish that comes together in minutes. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or steak, or on top of a salmon fillet. You can even add it to tacos! However you serve it, I know you’ll love it!
A Fresh & Healthy Side Salad
Do you ever make something for the first time and then find yourself craving it constantly? That’s what happened the first time I made this Tomato Avocado Salad. Now I want it ALL the time.
A cross between a salad and a salsa, this Tomato Avocado Salad is just perfect for summer or any other time you’re looking for a fresh and healthy dish. It’s about as simple as any recipe can be but I absolutely love the flavors together – so addicting! Bring on anything with lime and cilantro!
It’s also extremely versatile. It works as a quick and easy side dish, and I love serving it up with some grilled meat. It also works as a topping to enhance other dishes too. You can even use it as a salsa on tacos or in burritos!
However you serve this Tomato Avocado Salad, be prepared for it to disappear quickly! And I bet you’ll find yourself making it again soon too.
What You’ll Need
This easy salad is made with entirely fresh ingredients. If you have a summer garden, you might even be growing many of the ingredients!
- Tomatoes – I prefer plum tomatoes but other varieties will work as well.
- Avocado – Peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Red onion – Peeled and thinly sliced.
- Fresh cilantro – Adds flavor to the salad. My gosh how I love cilantro!
- Olive oil – Just a bit to help create a light dressing
- Lime – The salad uses both the juice and the zest.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic adds another layer of flavor.
- Salt & pepper – A little of each for flavor.
How to Make Tomato Avocado Salad
Making a salad has never been so simple. Chopping things is the hardest part. Just two steps and this tomato avocado salad is ready to enjoy.
- Combine ingredients. Add the tomatoes, avocados, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Add oil and seasonings. Add the olive oil, lime, and other seasonings. Toss.
- Enjoy. Serve immediately or refrigerate for a few hours before enjoying.
Tips for Success
After making this a few times, I’ve discovered a few hints for the best tomato avocado salad.
- Choose a ripe avocado. To find the best ones, hold them in your hand and squeeze gently. It should give a litte, but shouldn’t feel overly soft. If it’s firm, it’s not ripe yet.
- Allow to chill. If time allows, give the salad an hour or so to chill and all the flavors to infuse every bite.
- Add more flavors. While I kept it simple, you can definitely add more ingredients to this. Cucumbers are an easy add-in and jalapenos are an easy way to add some spice.
- Swap the cilantro. I know many people out there aren’t fans of cilantro, and some even say it tastes like soap. If that’s you, you can easily use dill instead!
This Tomato Avocado Salad works as a side dish and a topping to other dishes.
It’s amazing on its own as a healthy side dish, especially to some grilled meat or even burgers. But you can also add it to salmon as a topping or even add a spoonful on to some tacos as a salsa. It would taste great on these spicy shrimp tacos!
Can I Make This In Advance?
I like to make this tomato avocado salad an hour or two in advance, so the flavors have time to set in. However, I do not recommend making this more than several hours in advance. The lime juice does help slow the browning of the avocado a bit, but avocado will brown fairly quickly, making it a much less appealing side. If you need to save a little bit of time, you could combine the other ingredients and then add the avocado just before serving.Print
With fresh ingredients and a few seasonings, this Tomato Avocado Salad is an addictive side dish that comes together in minutes. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or steak, or add on top of a salmon fillet. You can even add it to tacos!
- 3–4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Add the tomatoes, avocados, red onion and cilantro to a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice and add the lime zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for a couple hours. Best eaten the day it’s made.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 303.1 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tomato avocado salsa, easy avocado recipes, healthy side salad