This Creamy Cornbread Casserole recipe is a sweet and savory side dish that you won’t be able to resist! It’s super easy to make and perfect for the holidays.
Old Fashioned Cornbread Casserole
I can’t get enough of this warm and buttery cornbread casserole. It’s such a simple side dish that’s filled with savory flavors and a touch of sweetness from the sugar. I love making this cornbread for fancy holiday meals or everyday weeknights – it’s great for any occasion!
This cornbread casserole uses both creamed corn and and whole corn kernels to give it the best consistency. The creamed corn will add the right amount of moisture, but the kernels will keep it from getting soggy. Apart from the corn, there are only 6 ingredients needed to make this side dish!
What is a Cornbread Casserole?
A cornbread casserole combines all the things you love about cornbread and casseroles. It’s full of your favorite cornbread flavors, and it has the soft and moist texture of a perfectly baked casserole.
This brightly colored side dish could also be considered corn pudding, but I like to call it a casserole because it’s not custard-y, as the word pudding implies.
- Eggs: The eggs are needed to bind the casserole together and give it some fluffiness. You definitely don’t want to leave them out.
- Sour Cream: This will add moisture and give your cornbread great flavor.
- Melted Butter
- Salt: Never underestimate salt. It doesn’t always make food taste “salty,” but it actually enhances flavors.
- Cornbread Mix
- Whole Corn Kernels
- Creamed Corn
How to Make Cornbread Casserole
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine Casserole Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, butter, sugar and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add Corn & Cornbread Mix: Add the cornbread mix, whole corn kernels and creamed corn and stir together until combined.
- Bake: Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the top and edges are lightly brown. If it seems a little jiggly in the middle, that’s fine.
- Serve Warm: Remove your casserole from the oven, serve it warm and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Casserole
- Adjust to Taste: You can change the amount of sugar you add to this dish based on your flavor preferences. If you don’t want your cornbread to have a touch of sweetness, feel free to leave out the sugar altogether.
- Double the Recipe: If you’re serving a crowd, you can double this recipe and bake your cornbread in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Don’t Over Bake: Once the edges of your casserole are lightly browned, it’s time to remove it from the oven. Over baking this casserole may cause it to get a bit dry.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead?
You can store the prepared batter for this cornbread for a couple hours before baking it, if preferred. Keep it well covered in the fridge and be ready to add a few minutes to the baking time since the batter is chilled.
- Add a Garnish: If you want to add a simple garnish to your cornbread, sprinkle it with some scallions or cilantro leaves!
- Add Mix-Ins: There are tons of tasty mix-ins you can add to your cornbread casserole. It tastes amazing with crumbled bacon, spinach, cheese or jalapeños.
- Top with Butter: This cornbread is nice and buttery on its own, but you can always spread a little extra butter on top for good measure.
- Serve with Meat: This casserole makes a lovely side dish for any chicken, pork or steak recipe! It goes really well with this Slow Cooker Lemon Butter Chicken recipe.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover pieces of cornbread casserole in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy your leftovers within 4 days for the best results. You can eat this cornbread cold or heat it up in the microwave!
If you’d like to store your leftovers for longer, you can keep them in the freezer. Store them in an airtight container for up to 6 months and thaw them overnight in the fridge before reheating.Print
This creamy Cornbread Casserole is a sweet and savory side dish that you won’t be able to resist! It’s super easy to make and perfect for the holidays.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (230g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (26g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8.5 ounce package cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
- 15 oz can whole corn kernels, drained
- 15 oz can creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, butter, sugar and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add the cornbread mix, whole corn kernels and creamed corn and stir together until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the top and edges are lightly brown. If it seems a little jiggly in the middle, that’s fine.
- Remove casserole from oven and serve warm.
Keywords: cornbread casserole recipe, jiffy cornbread casserole, cornbread recipe, best cornbread recipe, sweet cornbread recipe, moist cornbread recipe, easy cornbread recipe