Carrot Cake Shortbread Bars
These Carrot Cake Shortbread Bars are full of all the best flavors of carrot cake wrapped up in an easy and delicious bar! They would make a great dessert or treat for Easter!
So not only is Easter this month – which is totally crazy that it’s so soon – but it’s also what I would call Girl Scout Cookie Month. Sadly I’ve been pretty involved with the cookbook and haven’t quite gotten around to any girl scout cookie recipes (although you can always go back and make this No Bake Samoa Cheesecake). However, we did order cookies that we are quickly making our way through.
There aren’t many desserts that the hubs will fight me for, but cookies are one of them. Especially girl scout cookies. We ordered thin mints and samoas. We love them both but there are fewer samoas in each box, so naturally we are most protective over each and every one of those babies.
In fact, the hubs picked up one of the samoa boxes the other day and we got into a mock argument over them. He quickly pretended he was going to just shove the whole box in his mouth at once. It was terrifying. 😉
Fortunately I was wise enough to not even mention these bars to him. No need to fight over them that way.
These bars are super easy to make. The crust is shortbread which is a quick mix of butter, flour and sugar. It’s pre-baked before adding the filling.
To make the filling, the ingredients are added in a few steps but you don’t even need a mixer. I just use a whisk. Easy peasy. It’s a relatively thin mixture, so don’t be alarmed. It thickens up perfectly when baked.
After being baked, cool the bars in the fridge and then slice! Seriously, so easy. It’s a great way to get the carrot cake fix without all the fuss. And they are SO good!
Carrot Cake Shortbread Bars
- Yield: 9-12 Bars
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (33g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch of cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (73g) shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup (49g) flaked coconut
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
1. Line the bottom of a 9×9 pan with aluminum foil that goes up the sides of the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the crust, add all three ingredients to a mixer bowl and mix to combine. It’ll be very crumbly at first, but will form a ball.
3. Press dough evenly into the bottom of the pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. To make the filling, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium sized bowl.
6. Add eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
7. Stir in carrots, coconut, pineapple and pecans.
8. Spread mixture evenly over crust.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden.
10. Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator, then cut into squares.
You might also like: