1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
3. Press about 1 1/2 tbsp of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
4. Bake crusts for 7 minutes then remove and set aside.
5. To make the cupcakes, add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
6. Add egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
8. Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling a little more than half way, and bake at 300 degrees for about 17-19 minutes.
9. When done, remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then remove from cupcake tin and allow to cool.
10. While cupcakes cool, make the meringue frosting. Combine egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla extract in a metal, heatproof mixer bowl.
11. Place over a saucepan with simmering water (or use a double boiler
12. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm, to between 120 and 140 degrees on a thermometer, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
13. Using the whisk attachment, beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
14. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes (I used Ateco tip 808
) and top with chocolate sauce and graham cracker crumbs, if desired.
Keywords: s'mores cupcakes, smores cupcakes, s'mores dessert, s'mores recipe, marshmallow frosting, best chocolate cupcakes, best cupcakes recipe, easy cupcakes recipe, homemade cupcakes recipe