These Rosette Sugar Cookies are such a soft and chewy sugar cookie topped with a yummy buttercream icing. A classic cookie recipe with simple decoration – I love them!
- 3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 tbsp water or milk
- pink icing color*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
4. With the mixer on low speed, add flour, cornstarch and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Dough will be thick.
5. Make balls of dough that are about one big tablespoon in size. Press them down slightly onto cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until edges are just starting to brown.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
8. To make icing, combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
9. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
10. Add vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of water or milk and mix until smooth.
11. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
12. Add more water or milk until desired consistency is reached.
13. Pipe icing onto cookies using the animated tutorial above to make a rosette.
*I used Wilton Icing Gel color for the icing. I used mostly Rose color, with a touch of Violet.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 19.2 g
- Sodium: 86 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 27.3 mg
Keywords: sugar cookie recipe, how to frost sugar cookies, how to decorate sugar cookies