These Red, White and Blue Cookie Sandwiches are perfect for any patriotic holiday! With July 4th approaching in a couple weeks, these should definitely be on your list of things to make. They are easy, festive and delicious!
Cookies are definitely a go-to treat for many. Despite being a big lover of cake myself, there’s something so simple and easy about eating a cookie that really makes them appealing and hard to resist. Just grab and go! And being the cake lover I am, these are perfect for me because they aren’t just a cookie – they include frosting too!
I’ve made several similar cookie sandwiches before and they are all based on these Frosted Chocolate Cookies that were a favorite of my grandfather long ago. Those were chocolate based, as were the Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches and these Strawberry Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches I made.
This time around I decided to make a vanilla version of the cookie and color it for a patriotic look. I’ve loved every version of these cookie sandwiches so far and these are no different. They are a moist, cake-like cookie sandwiched around a vanilla buttercream. Classic flavors and so darn good!
When it comes to making these cookies, it’s really quite easy. First, cream the butter and sugar together until it’s light in color and fluffy. Then add the egg and milk, followed by the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and salt.
From there, divide the cookie dough into two parts and color one with red gel icing color and the other with blue. Of course you could make them all the same color, if you prefer.
You’ll want to use about a tablespoon of cookie dough per cookie. You could use a scoop to do that, or you could even use a piping bag. This cookie dough is thin enough that I actually like to add it to a piping bag with a large round tip and just pipe the dough into little mounds. It makes it go SO quickly! I’m a fan.
Bake the cookies until just before the edges start to brown and then let them cool.
They are frosted with a classic vanilla buttercream that I divided into three. I used white frosting with both the red and the blue, so you actually need about half of the frosting to remain white, then a quarter of it for blue and the other quarter for red.
Pipe the frosting between each cookie and you’re ready for your patriotic party! These Red, White and Blue Cookie Sandwiches are so fun, festive and tasty, they are sure to be a hit!
These Cookie Sandwiches are red, white and blue and perfect for any patriotic holiday! With July 4th approaching in a couple weeks, these should definitely be on your list of things to make. They are easy, festive and delicious!
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk, room temperature
- Red and blue gel icing color
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tbsp water or milk
- Red and blue gel icing color
- Star sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (190°C). Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the egg and milk and mix until combined.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
6. Divide the cookie dough in half and color half with red gel icing color and the other half with the blue.
7. Drop level tablespoons of cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet. You could also use a piping bag and round tip to pipe the dough into tablespoon sized mounds.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
9. To make the frosting, add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
10. Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
11. Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoons of water or milk and mix until well combined and smooth.
12. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
13. Set aside about half of the frosting. This will remain white. Color half of the frosting that remains (so a quarter of all the frosting) with red color and the other half with blue.
14. Add half of the white frosting and the red frosting to a piping bag (see this post for images of how I combine colors into one piping bag) and use that for the blue cookies. Add the other half of the white frosting and the blue frosting to a piping bag and use that for the red cookies. Pipe the frosting between two cookies. I used Ateco tip 844.
15. Add start sprinkles if desired, then serve.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 26.5 g
- Sodium: 26 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 34.8 mg
Keywords: red white and blue cookie sandwich, patriotic cookie sandwich, july 4th cookies