Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
These Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are two soft chocolate cookies sandwiched around delicious homemade chocolate frosting! These easy chocolate cookies are a perfect dessert recipe for the holidays or special occasions!
This Recipe For Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Is One Of My Favorites
These are seriously my new favorite cookie. The ones in the photos are festive for Christmas, but I would totally make them for any time I have a chocolate craving. I took my grandfather’s favorite iced chocolate cookie, made them a bit smaller and sandwiched them with chocolate frosting. It was a fabulous idea because the final result is perfect!
Are These Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Easy To Make?
There are so many things to love about these cookies. First, the cookies themselves are easy to make. No creaming the butter and sugar in these, just mix it together. Next add the egg and milk, then the dry ingredients. The batter will be fairly thin before adding the dry ingredients and is more moist than some of my other cookies even after adding the dry ingredients. The moisture lends a softer, more cake-like cookie.
I made tablespoon sized balls of dough for the cookies. I thought the cookie sandwiches ended up just the right size – about 1 1/2 inches in diameter – but you could always adjust them if you prefer. The cookie dough is actually soft enough that I ended up piping about half of the cookies onto the cookie sheet so I didn’t have to keep scooping them. It went to super fast! If you have a large round piping tip, like the Ateco 808, it’s perfect! They bake for 6-8 minutes or until they just look cooked through. These are a cookie that is best baked until it just looks fully cooked, no more. Often I like to under bake my cookies a touch, but with these I prefer to bake them just a bit more. They cookie ends up maintaining it’s fullness that way.
How To Make The Best Cookie Sandwiches
Once the cookies are baked and cooled, it’s time to add the frosting! Match up the cookies that came out closest in size, add the frosting to one cookie, then add the other. Be sure to add the sprinkles just after making the sandwich. If you wait, the frosting can firm up and then the sprinkles won’t stick.
As for the sprinkles, feel free to use whichever you prefer. I went with a fun round sprinkle in Christmas colors, but these cookies would be great for any time of year. Who doesn’t love double chocolate year round?! You could use colors for other holidays, or even just a great mix for a birthday.
These cookies are seriously some of my favorite cookie sandwiches yet! I know I said it before, but the cookies are the perfect softness! Unlike some cookie sandwiches, when you bit into this one the frosting doesn’t come squishing out the sides. It all stays together and every bite just melts in your mouth. To die for! You have to try them!
More Sandwich Cookie Recipes You Might Like:
Strawberry Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
Lemon Raspberry Cookie Sandwiches
Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Sandwiches
Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches
Gingerbread Cookies with Eggnog Icing
Salted Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
These Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are two soft chocolate cookies sandwiched around delicious homemade chocolate frosting!
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 31 minutes
- Yield: 24-26 Cookie Sandwiches 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk, room temperature
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (195g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (29g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (112g) salted butter
- 1/2 cup (95g) shortening
- 3 1/2 (403g) cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (57g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 tbsp (15-45ml) water
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix the sugar and butter just until combined.
3. Add the egg and milk and mix until combined.
4. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
5. Drop level tablespoons of cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 6-8 minutes, then remove to cool. Allow the cookies to sit on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
7. To make the frosting, beat the butter and shortening until smooth.
8. Add about half of the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
9. Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of water and mix until smooth.
10. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
11. Add the additional tablespoon of water, if needed, then mix until smooth.
12. Create cookie sandwiches with two cookies at a time. Pipe frosting onto one cookie, then add the second. Add sprinkles around the sides of the cookie so that they can stick to the frosting.
13. Store cookies in an air tight container at room temperature. Best for 2-3 days.
Keywords: chocolate sandwich cookies, chocolate filled cookies, chocolate cookie recipe, chocolate cookies for christmas, homemade chocolate cookies, holiday cookie recipe
This post includes affiliate links.