Last week I promised that I’d have a video, tutorial and all the info you need to learn How to Decorate Cookies with Royal Icing and today is the day! If you’ve ever wanted to make beautifully decorated cookies, follow this simple guide!
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 4 cups (460g) powdered sugar
- 6–8 tbsp (90-120ml) water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine meringue powder and powdered sugar in the bowl of a mixer.
2. Add 6-7 tablespoons of water and mix with whisk attachment at medium speed for about 7-10 minutes, or until icing looses it’s sheen. Begin with 6 tablespoons and add up to an addition tablespoon if needed to get the icing smooth for mixing.
3. Once icing is ready, add additional water to get the right consistency for piping and the vanilla extract. See notes and video above for guidance on consistency, coloring and piping.
Once icing is ready, cover with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out. Icing can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. Stir again before using.
Keywords: homemade icing, homemade icing recipe, sugar cookie icing recipe, sugar cookie royal icing, sugar cookie icing that hardens, easy sugar cookie icing, sugar cookie frosting recipe, icing for sugar cookies, how to make icing for sugar cookies