This easy Hot Toddy recipe is everything you want in a fall cocktail! Made with honey, lemon juice and your choice of Whiskey or Bourbon, it’s coziness in a cup. Garnish it with a cinnamon stick and a slice of lemon for a classic “hot tottie” drink!
An Easy & Cozy Hot Toddy Recipe
When the weather starts getting colder, you need a few hot cocktail recipes in your back pocket. Put this hot toddy at the top of your list! I love making this drink when I need something a little stronger than hot chocolate.
This hydrating hot toddy cocktail is ideal for the colder months when the air is drier. It’s perfect for relaxation and wonderfully balanced between tart and sweet. You’ll want to sip on this cocktail all year long!
What is a Hot Toddy?
A hot toddy, or hot tottie, is an alcoholic drink that combines hot water, honey, lemon juice and whiskey or bourbon. Hot toddies are commonly garnished with fresh lemon and a cinnamon stick. Every now and then I’ll add in a little anise star to spice things up! This cozy cocktail makes the perfect night cap or happy hour drink.
It’s also great for sore throats when you have a cold. And since cold season is upon us, this is a good recipe to have on hand.
What’s in a Hot Toddy?
It takes less than 5 minutes to make, and you only need 4 ingredients to make this hot toddy recipe.
- Whiskey or Bourbon
- Honey & Lemon Juice: Adjust the amount of honey and lemon juice to suit your tastes.
- Hot Water
Optional, for Garnish
- Lemon Slice
- Cinnamon Stick
- Anise Star
How to Make a Hot Toddy
- Combine Cocktail Ingredients: Combine the hot toddy ingredients and stir to combine until the honey is dissolved.
- Add Desired Garnishes: Garnish your drink with an anise star, a lemon slice and/or a cinnamon stick, if desired.
Tips for the Best Homemade Hot Toddy
- Adjust to Taste: The flavor of your hot toddy will change depending on how much honey and lemon juice you add. If you want it to be sweeter, add more honey. Add some extra lemon juice if you’d like it to be more tart.
- Use Tea Instead of Hot Water: To give your cocktail extra flavor, try making it with your favorite blend of tea instead of hot water.
- Use Maple Syrup Instead of Honey: If you don’t have honey you can use maple syrup!
- Add Spices: If you want your hot toddy to be even more comforting, throw in some ginger or cloves.
- Omit Alcohol for a Sore Throat Remedy: Many people drink hot toddies to help soothe cold symptoms. If you want to do this, I recommend leaving out the alcohol – or at least reducing it.
This quick and easy Hot Toddy is a comforting Fall cocktail made with honey, lemon juice and your choice of Whiskey or Bourbon. Garnished with a cinnamon stick and a slice of lemon, this drink is beautiful and delicious!
- 2 oz whiskey or bourbon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2–3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Lemon slice, for garnish, optional
- Anise star, for garnish, optional
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish, optional
- Combine the first four ingredients and stir to combine until the honey is dissolved.
- Garnish with a lemon slice, an anise star and/or a cinnamon stick, if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 17.6 g
- Sodium: 8.1 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: hot toddy recipe, how to make a hot toddy, hot toddy drink, what is a hot toddy, hot toddy whiskey, hot toddy tea, hot toddy for cough, hot tottie recipe