Banana Cream Cheesecake
This Banana Cream Cheesecake Recipe is made with a fresh banana cheesecake topped with banana bavarian cream! It’s smooth, creamy & full of banana flavor!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 Servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups (302g) vanilla wafer crumbs
- 10 tbsp (140g) salted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp (39g) sugar
- 24 ounces (678g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (24g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (58g) sour cream, room temperature
- 4 tsp banana extract
- 1 cup (240ml) pureed banana (2 medium sized bananas)*
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp powdered gelatin
- 2 tbsp (30ml) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (26g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp banana extract
- 2/3 cup (160ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 5 tbsp (36g) powdered sugar
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh sliced bananas
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line a 9-inch (23cm) springform pan with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
- Combine the crust ingredients in a small bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Cover the outsides of the pan with aluminum foil so that water from the water bath cannot get in (see how I prepare my pan for a water bath). Set prepared pan aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (148°C).
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour on low speed until well completely combined and smooth. Be sure to use low speed to reduce the amount of air added to the batter, which can cause cracks. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sour cream and banana extract and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add the pureed bananas and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly to combine after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the crust.
- Place the springform pan inside another larger pan. Fill the outside pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. The water should not go above the top edge of the aluminum foil on the springform pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. The center should be set, but still jiggly.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door closed for 30 minutes. The cheesecake will continue to cook, but slowly begin to cool as well.
- Crack the door of the oven for 30 minutes to allow the cheesecake to continue to cool slowly. This process helps prevent cracking.
- While the cheesecake finishes cooling, make the bavarian cream. In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin onto the milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks together and set aside.
- Add the 1/2 cup of heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract and banana extract to a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until warm.
- Remove the cream mixture from heat and slowly pour the hot cream into the eggs to temper them.
- Add the egg and cream mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat. Continue cooking over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, or reaches about 160°F. It should happen fairly quickly.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the hot cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour the custard into another bowl and set that bowl inside another bowl over ice. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the custard cools, add the 2/3 cup of heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to a large mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- When the custard is ready, gently fold the whipped cream into the custard. Be sure it’s at least room temperature, so the whipped cream doesn’t wilt/melt.
- Remove the water bath wrapping from the cheesecake, then spread the bavarian cream evenly over the top of the cheesecake. Refrigerate cheesecake until completely cool and firm, 5-6 hours.
- When the cheesecake is cool and firm, remove it from the springform pan.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract for the whipped cream topping to a large mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe swirls of whipped cream around the edge of the cheesecake, then serve with sliced bananas.
Cheesecake should be stored in the fridge. Best if eaten within 3-4 days.
* I recommend using fresh, yellow bananas. Not ones that are ripe and brown. I prefer the color and flavor of the fresh bananas in this particular cheesecake.
Keywords: how to make cheesecake, banana dessert recipe, banana cheesecake recipe, cheesecake recipe