Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies are dense and chewy, and full of chocolate! Perfect for getting your chocolate fix!
It’s funny how every winter, I’m totally ready for warm weather. And now that we are at the end of the summer I’m ready for cooler weather. We had a few weeks there where we were teased with some beautiful fall weather – even getting cold enough in the evenings that I busted out a light jacket. And now it’s back into the 80s.
Normally, I don’t think I’d care much. But I’ve stocked up on maternity clothes for colder weather, since that should be the majority of my pregnancy and I don’t want to buy more clothes than I need to. I’m now trying to will cooler weather to come by wearing my long sleeved shirts and jeans.
Plus, cooler weather means the holidays are right around the corner and it’s always my favorite time of year. I’m not much into Halloween, except for the fun treats (I’m always game for treats), but it’s really the start of the “holidays” in a way. And then we get ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas – and all the pumpkin, pies and cookies you can eat! I’m ready!!
So today I’m sharing some cookies in prep for cookie season. It can’t get here soon enough! I’ve already shared some Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, so now I’m sharing their friendly cousin – the Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie. A chocolate cookie base made even more chocolatey with the addition of big ‘ole chunks of chocolate! Yes, please!!
And these cookies are pretty straight forward to make. I’m a fan. Cream the butter and sugars together, add the egg and vanilla, then the remaining ingredients and you’re ready to go! This dough doesn’t require refrigeration, but it’s certainly an option if you want to make the cookie dough a few days ahead. I often like to go ahead and roll the dough into balls and then refrigerate it so I don’t have to do that work later. 🙂
Once you’ve baked the cookies, you can pop a few extra chunks of chocolate on top, if you like. They look yummy and of course more chocolate is never a bad thing! These cookies are dense and chewy, and stay delicious for several days. They’ll be great for sharing this fall and holiday season – it just needs to get here sooner!
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Yield: 22-24 Cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (112g) brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup (104g) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (57g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups (211g) chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
4. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix until well incorporated and thick.
5. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
6. Roll into balls of cookie dough about 2 tablespoons in size.
7. Place the cookie dough balls on the lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. The center might look a little undercooked, but the edges should be done. The centers will cook a little more and firm up as the cookies cool.
8. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, the remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
The cookie dough can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days.