Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are dense, chewy and full of oatmeal and chocolate chips! They are so delicious and completely addicting.
So recently I have fallen in love with a new food/drink. I grew up drinking milk with most meals. It was basically required by my dad. Just before high school I stopped drinking it for the most part and kind of lost a taste for it.
Well, a couple months ago I got a chance to go on a trip to Nashville with KitchenAid and some other bloggers and try out a few of their new appliances. I tried out their new blender (which is seriously amazing, by the way) and made almond milk with it. We added some cocoa to make it chocolatey and added a little Irish Cream. Needless to say, it was delicious and since then my love for almond milk has slowly been growing.
Now I totally love it. I drink it all the time (thought without the Irish Cream 😉 ) and have to make myself not drink it all day long. It’s kind of crazy and makes me even feel like I’m being healthy. 🙂 Perhaps my healthy milk-drinking habits will balance out all the cookie eating I did while perfecting these babies.
Oatmeal chocolate chips cookies are one of those cookies that I tried to resist for a long time. I’ve always loved oatmeal raisin cookies and chocolate chip cookies, but combining them just seemed wrong. Oatmeal without raisins? Why would you do such a thing? Finally I gave in and grew to love them. 🙂 Now I’ve got my favorite version of the new classic to share with you.
I seriously lost track of how many times I made these cookies. I wanted them just soft and chewy enough, just thick enough and plenty oatmeal-y and chocolatey. It was a tough balance to strike but I totally love the final result. They’re thick enough, without being too thick. Chewy and so soft. And seriously full of chocolate chips.
I had quite a few taste testers with all the versions I tested and these were definitely the favorite. I’ve been asked to make them over and over already, so I know you’re going to love them!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Yield: About 24 Cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (168g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups (153g) uncooked quick cook oats
- 1 3/4 cups (296g) semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter and sugars together until well combined.
3. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch and salt and mix until well combined.
5. Add the oats and mix until a thick dough forms.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Roll 2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough into a ball and place them onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press a few extra chocolate chips into the top of the cookie dough balls.
8. Bake 9-11 minutes. The edges should be very lightly brown and the center may look slightly undercooked. Do not over bake.
9. Let cookies cool for about 3-4 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
You might also like:
Recipes from friends:
Bourbon Salted Caramel Oatmeal Cookies from Beyond Frosting
Brown Butter Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod
Monster Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Mom on Timeout